- We love design. We love babies. And the chic stroller makes us want to keep the kids coming….. Here are a few of our top picks at the moment for the coolest new strollers.Silver Cross Balmoral
An iconic, stately pram, hand crafted in Yorkshire with unique leather suspension straps and a classic carriage that guarantees comfort and safety.
Weighs 37kg. Prices around $4000
- 4 Moms Origami stroller
Opens and closes itself with a simple press of a button. Rear wheels have built in generators that charge the stroller while you walk (and can charge a cell phone!). Lots of storage (cup holders and removable storage bags) Has running and pathway lights for safety. LCD screen includes thermometer, speedometer and other lifetime odometers.
for use with children up to 40lbs. Dimensions are 41” l, 28” w, 39” when open. The toddler sized stroller is 32 lbs.
Prices $849.99 on www.shop4moms.com
- Bloom CMYK Zen Stroller
This stylish, light all-terrain stroller includes a solar lighting system (light beams or flash hazard lights), a freestanding folding design that makes it easy to stash In small spaces.
Stroller weighs 25.3 lbs. For infant up to 44lbs.
Price $799 at Giggle.com
- Ride on Carry On
Traveling with little ones is made easy with this convertible children’s chair that comfortably snaps onto carry on luggage. Perfect for rolling your child through the terminal and right to their seat. The padded headrest can be pulled down for use as a tray table. The chair folds flat without removing so it can fit through security and in the overhead storage compartment.
Recommended for children from 8mnths-5 years (up to 50 lbs)
Priced at $39.99
- Bugaboo + Missoni Chameleon
This stylish, brightly colored stroller features a detachable bassinet, adjustable handle, and four swivel wheels. The suspension is also adjustable and creates smooth strolling.
include a matching Missoni chevron blanket.
- Mima Kids Kobi cosmo stroller
Has a patented “carrycot” system where the seat can be converted by unzipping the seat. The seat can be rear or forward facing. Removable changing bag, clip on canopy, adjustable handle and seat height positions. Can accommodate another seat while still being average sized for a stroller.
Weighs 29.4 lbs. Suitable for infants from birth to 37 pounds.
1200 Euros on kidslovedesign.com
We all know that the end of August brings an obsession with things ‘wooly’ and the exciting task of acquiring school supplies and clothing for the kids. Parents scour busy stores overflowing with pencils in order to outfit their children for back to school. Not to worry! The back to school shopping guide features lots of stylish goodies that can be found online. In hopes you used a bit of the summer to de-clutter and inventory what you already have, you can fill the holes in your kids’ back to school shopping list with a few of our picks. We’ve shopped around to find the best supplies, gadgets and funky fashions for your little collegiates.
Back to School Supplies
1. The Spencer Stainless Steel Bento Box Container: Crafted of stainless steel with a spacious bottom compartment, an interior tray for separating snacks and a snug plastic lid, this is sure to be a winner. Just make sure you check our our healthy snack ideas when you fill it! $59 Available at www.potterybarnkids.com
2. Text Bands. Now kids only have to bump fists in order to pass notes. The text bands allow the message to appear on a friend’s wrist with a light bump. You can type up to 10 characters and each band can hold up to 24 messages at once. (Turning the band off will delete all messages). Now that’s a heck of an improvement from note passing. Hallmark.com
3. ABC Sigg Water Bottles are BPA and phthalate free. You can recyclable them at the end of their lifetime, and the nonporous interior lining in the bottles ensures that it remains taste and odor neutral. Know what that means? You can put grape juice in it (or something stronger for Mom) on the weekend and send it to school with milk on Monday. www.mysigg.com
4. Fun, Fictional Flash Drives – From The Simpsons, Family Guy, and Looney Tunes to skateboard USBs, students can transport files with their favourite characters. Unfortunately, they do not come with your very own Princess Leah hologram. You’ll have to hit the rides at Disneyland for that. www.staples.ca
5. The Madbox from Land’s End is the coolest lunchbox we’ve seen in a while. Five kids from Madison, WI set out to build a better lunchbox and Land’s End liked their idea so much – they produced it! It comes with an adjustable ice pack that focuses the cold to the food that needs to stay cold and leaves room temperature food alone. No more soggy crackers. www.landsend.com
6. Who doesn’t love labels? Mabels Labels has a cool new Tween pack that is sure to delight your kids. They’ve also got a rock-sold back-to-school pack and even preschool shoe labels. www.mabelslabels.com
7. New for the fall, the Native ‘Jimmy’. From the makes of our favourite summer show comes the Jimmy, just in time for fall. These durable and funky boots will look great with this season’s signature trench for kids. www.shop.nativeshoes.com
8. The Lunchkin reusable sandwich bag. In Hermes orange, or course. Wait. That’s for me. Well, if you want uber-cute, they’re available in crabs, sailboats, soccer balls and school apples too. And they’re great for the environment. And cool. Need we say more? www.raspberrykids.com
9. Any flower-lover would eat every bite out out of this adorable PVC-free grab-and-go lunch purse. But be careful. Unless you snag a couple you may have a fight on your hands, as we guarantee you’ll want one too! I think I may grab one and use it for a funky back tie clutch… www.lavishandlime.com
Father’s Day is a tough one. PS – socks and ties just don’t really cut it. Here are a few curated picks that we’ll be ordering. And probably using for ourselves.. (That’s when you get them for the father of your children instead of your own dad so the items are.. ahem.. nearby.. for your personal use.)
This was so awesome we actually already bought one for the office. Sorry dad. A new take on the retro polaroid, the shots from the Fuji Instax Mini 50s Camera come out immediately and in a mini size – about half the width of an old-fashioned polaroid. And you don’t have to wave them in the air either. Available at Caya.
What man could possibly attempt a camping trip without his R2D2 Folding armchair? If he’s into starwars you might want to check out our feature on the hand-knit R2D2 hat as well…. Available at www.thinkgeek.com
CHARGE ‘N’ FRUITS Designed Docking Station: The most decorative way to charge cell phones and MP3 players: definite shapes and creative styling. Simply load your charging cable through the fruit from above and place the cord in the cable channel at the bottom. Caya.ca
Blown Away: A Year Through the Lens of The Tornado Hunter. I was so riveted to the photos in this tome that I could feel my testosterone level rising. Showcasing the surreal, scary, romantic electricity of tornadoes across North America, Greg Johnson’s stunning book can be found at WalMart and online at chapters/indigo. www.tornadohunter.ca (Oh – and if you comment on this post with your fav idea for dad you get an entry to win one!)
WEBER FIRESPICE® TRIAL-SIZED SMOKING KITS: Not sure what flavour dad likes to smoke? Here’s an opportunity to sample different smoking woods – hickory, cherry, apple and more. Comes in assorted four and six packs. Pair it with Weber’s Smoke™ cookbook written by New York Times best-selling author and James Beard Award Nominee Jamie Purviance. It reveals the secrets to infusing rich, smoky flavours into almost any dish on any barbecue including gas, charcoal, or smoker. www.weber.com
Date night with Dad. Especially wonderful for the dad who doesn’t get much one-on-one time with the kids, here is an opportunity for the children to share ideas as to what a perfect date with dad would look like: Building a model airplane? Learning how to fly a kite? fly fishing? Yes please. 12 different ideas for activities to do with your dad for a special date. Brilliant DIY idea by the Happy HomeMaker.
The Man Bouquet. Attach assorted cigars, beers and Dad’s favourite items to small dowels and ‘plant’ them in a huge pot. (You might also want to include some lingere for yourself, which we’re sure he’d also enjoy.) Idea and photo by: Elyse Nichol
The tot-to-go™ Baby Sling is a fashionable solution for carrying and bonding with your baby hands free! Available in chic fabrics and prints, the tot-to-go™ Baby Sling is the perfect way to comfortably cozy up with your baby and look fabulous at the same time. With up to 5 versatile wearing positions, you will find the tot-to-go™ suitable for any stage of your baby’s physical and emotional development.
The sleek, one piece design is ultra compact and easy to take anywhere. It also doubles up as a change pad or blanket so you have less clutter in your diaper bag! tot-to-go™–Your Life’s Essential. Available at www.tot-to-go.com.
If you are on the hunt for the perfect travel blanket we’ve got just the one for you. J J Cole’s Essentials Blanket is great for the whole family at any occasion. It’s perfect for the park, the beach and even the backyard.