This holiday season I’m determined to give thoughtful and kind gifts. Most websites charge crazy prices for shipping, take forever to fabricate a product and even longer to arrive.
I’m one of those parents that can’t stand the end of summer. The thought of school lunches and early wake-ups makes me want to cry. Even the notion of some alone time while the kids are in school doesn’t make me want to celebrate. But back to school shopping? Now you’re talking. I love the new beginnings – a change to streamline routines and try to finally nail the healthy littler-less lunch. We can always dream. Here are our 15 back to school essentials for this year.
1. Reminiscent of old-school TV dinner trays or modern Bento boxes, the PlanetBox ensures food doesn’t get all mixed up and helps you include healthier options for the pickiest eater. The magnets add a personal flair. Also available at Pottery Barn Kids with personalized carry bags.
2. Microwave, dishwasher safe and waterproof. Music to a parents’ ears! Not having to raid the lost and found box at school every week? Even better. I just ordered Mabels Labels‘ Ultimate Back to School Pack. The kids got to choose their own personal designs and even prompted them to clean out their closet.
3. Sanrio. It’s all about Sanrio. I just got 2 new Sigg Hello Kitty water bottles. Always BPA-free, these designs also allow you to write a note to your kids in the thought bubble. My preference is to have the kids write a note to me, as I won’t give these bottles up. Sorry, boys.
4. We know that UrbanMommies is a big fan of manners for kids. Let’s not stop at school. Funkins are colourful, fun napkins made just for our little robot lovers and fishermen.
5. As you register the kids for extra-curricular activities, don’t forget to include down time. The Babba Box is a subscription service that provides hours of after-school and weekend creativity. Combine it with Disney’s new Story app and we’re willing to bet you double their fun.
6. I always went to school with personalized pencils from Lillian Vernon. You despise me now don’t you? And now they are in pink.
7. WoolFelt iPad sleeve on etsy. Stunning.
8. Fancy patterned binders help our kids feel like individuals. Leave it to Martha Stewart to come up with epic patterns. Available at Staples.
9. Boys: In the summer I can’t get my boys to wear pants. In the fall I can’t get them to wear pants without holes in the knees. Good news: Iron Knee pants from Land’s End. The revolutionary interior knee patch will allow them to fall on their knees all the time without you having to deal with seeing their kneecaps at the end of the day. Now we just need to stock up on Tide Pods how to deal with the grass stains.
10. Girls: The new Binksy & Bobo reversible tie dress. Spills can be instantly hidden with a flip. And it’s Canadian. I need one in my size please.
11. Picmonkey. It’s all about picmonkey. They’ve just released some back to school themes, overlays and nostalgic school effects.
12. Zoo Lunches from Skip Hop acts as a lunch bag and doubles as a little friend. Available at Snuggle Bugz.