Here are 10 creative ideas for an affordable and fun kid’s birthday party:
Remember the Big Bang Theory where Howard has a blind date and doesn’t react well to some spicy food so he clogs the toilet and climbs out the bathroom window of his date’s apartment in embarrassment? Even the smallest room in your house can leave a big impression. A new survey commissioned by Gut Inspired, a group of Canadians living with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), revealed that 61% of Canadians are not comfortable doing.. their business at a friend’s house.
The luxury travel company andBeyond is expanding it’s operations to South America. The company would like to positively impact the region through their commitment to sustainable travel, conservation and community empowerment . Following success in South Asia, the company has decided to explore the vast landscapes, pristine wildlife areas and magnificent views of South America. Their first South American office will be rooted in Santiago, Chile and will open on July 15, 2015. The office will provide luxury tour operating and destination management company (DMC) services to guests travelling in Chile.
Home to some of the continent’s top sites, including Iguazu Falls, Easter Island, the wine regions of Santiago, Atacama, Buenos Aires, and Patagonia, Chile is a must-see on a trip through the continent. By the middle of August, similar services will be available to those travelling to Argentina and by mid-2016, the company will expand to Peru and Ecuador. Machu Picchu, the Galapagos Islands and the Amazon can easily be explored with the help of andBeyond’s new worldly expansions. The Managing Director Pedro Barraza has 25 years experience in the travel industry, plenty of which spent in top management roles. Your trip planning and management is in good hands! If you’ve always wanted to go to South America, this is your chance to travel the continent with a company committed to the development and sustainability of the land on which it works.
For more information, visit www.andBeyond.com
Make the most of the summer with the new Clear Collection of MAM Pacifiers! The collection showcases aquatic themes with translucent shields that are both stylish and practical for the summer months. An orthodontically correct nipple design allows little ones to safely satisfy their sucking reflex while maintaining proper jaw and tooth alignment. The design also features an easy-to-grasp front knob, a curved shield for a comfortable fit and generous air holes. This clever design combined with lightweight, BPA-free, PVC-free, lead-free and CPSIA-Compliant materials make the pacifiers safe and easy to use. An assortment of colours and designs are available, as well as two nipple options: patented anti-slip Silk Teat™ Silicone or Natural Latex. The Pacifiers retail at $7.49 for a pack of two.
To find out more and view MAM’s baby care range visit: www.mambaby.com
Revised: We mistakenly published a piece on ‘Purse ‘n Boots’ by Elizabeth Anne Shoes, and our diligent readers made us aware of several issues with the company not fulfilling the orders. We have researched the company and would strongly recommend not having dealings with them. Articles/TV warning spots you can peruse about Purse ‘n Boots are as follows:
We apologize for our short-sightedness, and thank our readers who made us aware of the issues with the company.
Are you a women who experiences the impracticality of carrying a purse on a daily basis? Are you sick of pant-pockets being too small to fit your essentials? Elizabeth Anne Shoes, a Canadian shoe store, has invented Purse n’ Boots- “The World’s First Purse for Your Feet.” The shoes showcase patented secret pockets that are able to fit your cell phone, make up, credit cards, house keys, cash and passports. The pockets are hidden but the quality design and materials aren’t! Comfort and quality are emphasized in each and every design. These long-lasting, unique, stylish and practical boots are perfect for every women!
“Passported” – Seamless Vacation Planning
Feather+Flip, a family travel resource, has acquired itinerary planning company Bon Voyaging to create “Passported”. The new resource combines the itinerary planning technology of Bon Voyage with the family content of Feather+Flip. According to CEO Henley Vazquez, “Passported celebrates kid-friendly travel for grown-ups. We highlight the places your junior entourage will love in destinations you’re excited to visit. Family travel can be sophisticated, cool, and fun for the whole family.”
“Passported” allows families to view parent-reccomended restaurants, hotels, activities and sites, for vacation spots around the world, while creating a seamless vacation itinerary. Mapping capabilities are also available in unison with the technology. In addition to streamlined booking services, travellers booking with the new technology have access to special perks such as free breakfast, spa credits and late check out.
The philosophy of the company is that family travel can be sophisticated, cool, and fun for the whole family.
For more information visit: www.passported.com
Looking for some adventure for your family this summer? Try mountain biking at Silver Star in Vernon, BC. This amazing and expanded bike park has a little something for everyone from beginners to expert rippers. And with over 100 km of total trails, including 50 km of downhill and 50 km cross country you are sure to never get bored!
Ian Galbraith, summer business manager at Silver Star Galbraith says, “Last season we saw rider visits increase by 8% and when riders become aware of the expanded trails, it will solidify Silver Star’s reputation as one of the best bike parks in Canada. The expansion will play a big part in increasing rider visits this summer and while we are a long way from matching skier visits we are building a healthy summer business and increasing the resort’s four season appeal.”
Silver Star has expanded its downhill trail network to provide riders with the option of riding a new intermediate trail from the summit to the mountain base. Jedi Mind Trick, a blue trail that runs from the base of the mountain to half way up is being extended to the summit and the double black diamond trail Pro-Star – Walk the Line, that runs from the summit to half way down the mountain will be extended to the bottom. The trail network that will link existing trails with new trails are currently in their final stages of construction.
Silver Star’s bike park currently consists of over 50 kilometres of downhill trails ranging from green (easy) to double black (expert only) that challenge both beginners and advanced riders. It has18 downhill mountain bike trails: three double black diamond, five black diamond, six blue, three green, a vault skills area, five multi-use trails and seven XC bike trails. They offer camps and lessons for every level of rider so everyone in the family can get their “shred” on!
“Given the well-rounded experience we provide for riders at Silver Star, I am confident we will join the elite status of trail networks around the world with this exclusive designation,” said Ian Galbraith, summer business manager at Silver Star. “We offer a mix of XC and downhill trails for all abilities and are a full-service resort.”
And after a fun day on the slopes you can cool off with a nice dip in Lake Okanagan or by doing a wine tasting at one of the local wineries!
- Swim with the Dolphins – Travelers of all ages can befriend a dolphin at Jamaica’s Dolphin Cove. The Dolphin Encounter will give visitors an introduction to dolphins in shallow waters, while the Ultimate Swim will allow visitors to swim with two trained dolphins. Visitors can also enjoy live reggae music, bottomed boat tours, and shark and stingray excursions in the cove.
- Bike in the Blue Mountains– Jamaica’s Blue Mountains are home to a lush, cool environment. Biking is the best way to experience the mountains, and possibly get a glimpse of life on a coffee farm, where some of the most delicious coffee in the world is grown.
- Be one with 007 – Ian Fleming made his home in Jamaica where he wrote the very first of the famous James Bond novels. Guests can stay in GoldenEye Resort’s villa where Fleming found his inspiration for the famously smooth spy character. To truly summon the spirit of 007, visitors are encouraged to stake out the spots where some of the main Bond movies were filmed.
- Swim in the Luminous Lagoon – Also called Glistening Waters, this phenomenon is a must-see. Microorganisms thrive in the waters where salt and fresh water combine, and emit a bluish glow. Visitors can jump into these waters off of the coast of Falmouth at night, and experience an otherworldly marvel.
- Go Caving – In Jamaica, there are plenty of ways to accomplish a caving adventure. Cockpit Country’s Windsor Caves are best suited for the spelunking type of traveler, with helmets, flashlights and ropes. In the most extreme of subterranean tours, one can be underground for four hours in pure darkness, with only a large group of bats for company. To experience caves at a leisurely pace, or with the family, Green Grotto in Discovery Bay is the best bet. These caves are a prominent natural attraction, known for the algae-covered green walls and a sparkling lake in the innermost cavern. There is one more way to go “caving” in Jamaica, but it may not be the most traditional – The Caves Resort in Negril. To stay in pure luxury at The Caves may not be anywhere close to spelunking, but the cliff-side accommodations and cozy in-cave dining definitely counts for a check off the bucket list.
- Meet the First Female Master Rum Blender – The Appleton Estate is home to Jamaica’s oldest sugar factory and rum distillery and is where some of the best Caribbean rum is made. Visitors can take a tour and sample rum blended by Joy Spence, the industry’s first female Master Blender.
- Find the Nicest Jerk – The best and most delicious jerk chicken, pork, and seafood is found in Jamaica. Boston Bay in Port Antonio is the birthplace of jerk, the flavor that sets tongues on fire with the iconic pimento and scotch bonnet pepper seasoning combination. The Boston Bay Jerk Centre is where one can sample the best jerk on the eastern end of the island. On the west end, visitors can try Murphy’s West End Restaurant. Murphy provides tours of his property, showing diners the exotic fruit trees.
- Shiver Your Timbers in Port Royal – In the 1600s, visitors would have been prey to infamous pirates in Port Royal, known at that time as “The Wickedest City on Earth.” However, a major earthquake sunk most of the city of Port Royal deep into the Caribbean Sea. The underwater city that resulted is a pending UNESCO World Heritage Site and the many shipwrecks make the area an incredible scuba diving location for those who gain permission.
- Connect with Bob Marley – No bucket list is complete in Jamaica without a little reggae. Kingston is home to the Bob Marley Museum, located on the site of the legendary musician’s former home. Visitors can experience that as well as a tour of the Jamaican Music Museum, a visit to the Rockers International record store and a hands-on experience at the Dynamic Sounds studio. Here, guests can embrace their inner Marley and even make their own vinyl record.
- Go Bamboo River Rafting: The Martha Brae River provides the ultimate opportunity for relaxation. Two people can sit pretty on a bamboo raft while they glide along, catching all the sights at the edges of the tropical river banks.
So, what are you waiting for? If you want to enjoy some of these activities and add/cross them off your bucket list, its time to book your trip to Jamaica. To plan your Bucket List trip, and to add even more adventures, go to www.visitjamaica.com.
Leave the rainy, cold, damp weather behind! We’ve been told that Emirates is offering more than ever for families travelling with youngsters. They actually carried over two million children last year.
Though you should always bring a few things to keep the kids occupied on an airplane, Emirates offers extra special treats for the mini-fliers. Even before departure, complimentary baby strollers and changing tables are available within Emirates’ dedicated Terminal 3 in Toronto and there are play areas equipped toys within Emirates’ exclusive lounges. Priority boarding is provided to families with young children.
But it’s on board when the real fun starts. The dedicated children’s channels on the popular ice entertainment system brings an array of cartoons, interactive games, podcasts and CDs.
There are currently more than 60 children’s movies on ice, including the entire Harry Potter series, a whole section dedicated to Disney Classics, plus over 20 dedicated children’s television channels including CBeebies, Disney Junior, Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon. The young ones can also immerse themselves in hours of the very best music, such as One Direction, Justin Bieber and Katy Perry.
On board, young ones can meet AirBoe and Oggie, amongst the new cuddly monsters and explore activity-filled backpacks, all provided on a complimentary basis. Aircraft also carry kids’ favourite meals, as well as vegetarian options.
“We go to great lengths to entertain and occupy children with products and services that are constantly being updated and enhanced,” said Sheikh Majid Al Mualla, Emirates’ Divisional Senior Vice President, Commercial Operations, Centre. “ We know keeping the young ones happy is a key part of ensuring a smooth and enjoyable travelling experience for the whole family so investment in this area is very important.”
Emirates recognizes that loyalty is essential amongst its younger customers too so children even have their own frequent flyer program called Skysurfers. Miles can be exchanged for free flights, toys, books and entry to attractions in Dubai.
Children can also watch the Airshow channel to see a pilot’s view of take-off and landing.
Emirates Holidays, meanwhile, is well equipped to deal with families with specially-tailored packages. Many of the hotels available through Emirates Holidays offer kids’ and teens’ clubs.
Perks for kids travelling with Emirates:
- Meals for children (two to 12 years) and babies are available
- Exclusive children’s magazine called Fly With Me Monster – My Monster Magazine
- Brightly coloured children’s headsets
- Wide range of children’s movies, TV and interactive games on ice
- Quiksilver wallets, travel journals, backpacks, cooler bags, storybooks and eye masks
- Priority boarding and a complimentary stroller service at Dubai International airport
- Children’s facilities in the airport lounges
- Skysurfers membership with Emirates Skywards
*As per ticketing rules on emirates.com a child is defined as a passenger between 2-11 years of age.