This beach-ready buttermilk fried chicken was fun to make and completely delicious.
Buttermilk Fried Chicken Ingredients
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- flour for dredging
- 1 pound of chicken drumsticks
- vegetable oil for frying
Buttermilk Fried Chicken Method
- Wash your chicken and dry it with paper towels. In a bowl mix the liquid ingredients and spices. In another bowl, combine the baking powder and baking soda, and then whisk into the buttermilk until it becomes foamy.
- In a shallow dish put about 2 cups of flour alongside the buttermilk mixture.
- First dredge the chicken in the flour on all sides, then dip into the buttermilk mixture and make sure it’s coated well all around. Dredge the chicken in flour one more time, then place the chicken on a plate, and repeat with all chicken pieces. If your flour gets too dirty just throw it out and start with some fresh flour.
- In a frying pan or deep fryer (this is what we used), heat 4 cm of oil. In a pan, you will cook for a total of about 12 minutes (don’t pack them too tight). The first side will take longer to cook maybe about 7 min, and the second side will cook faster, 3 to 5 minutes, so be patient and let the chicken cook properly. In the deep fryer we dropped the chicken right into the hot oil without raising the basket. Repeat with remaining chicken. After 13 minutes it was perfect.
- After the chicken is fried, place them on paper towels to soak up some of the oil and sprinkle sea salt and cracked pepper.
We froze the chicken so it was ready to whisk away in a cooler to the beach. By the time everyone was hungry, the drumsticks were thawed and ready to be devoured.