This is a perfect long weekend meal, and one where the kids can join in to develop a passion for the grill! We used a smoker but a similar result can be achieved on a BBQ. The kale mashed potatoes are full of anti-oxidants and a great way to add a healthy kick to this summer meal. The 7-hour smoked beef ribs can be prepped long in advance so you have lots of leisure time to relax with friends and family as the smoke wafts through the air. Can you smell them? (P.S. Don’t count on leftovers!)
2 lb (1000 g) beef ribs
6 tbsp (90 mL) Club House La Grille Steakhouse Onion Burger Seasoning
Dash Salt and Pepper
1 cup red wine
6 tsps (28 mL) McCormick Gourmet Rosemary leaves (or fresh if available)
3 cups water
6 chunks of rum barrel pieces (purchase at a BBQ shop to add even more flavour)
1. Soak the rum barrel wood chunks in water for 30 minutes.
2. Rinse and pat the beef ribs until dry.
3. Have the kids wash their hands well and let them do the rub, ensuring that the Club House La Grille Steakhouse Onion Burger Seasoning gets into ever nook and cranny of the ribs.
4. Sprinkle both sides of the ribs with salt and pepper.
5. Prepare your coals by heating in a smoker chimney. *If using a BBQ, wrap the soaked wood chips in tinfoil and place a metal bowl of water on the upper rack.
6. Mix the wine, water and rosemary in a stainless bowl (it comes with your smoker).
7. When coals are heated, place them in the bottom of the smoker and place the bowl of liquid on the rack directly above the coals.
8. Place ribs on the grill and smoke consistently for 6-7 hours. If you open the lid to check the coals or water, place lid back on quickly. **The goal is to keep the temperature at 225 degrees Celsius.
Firestarter For the Smoker Chimney
I learned this trick as part of the Girl Guides of Canada and it’s a great activity for the kids.
1. thoroughly wash a small tin can (we used a tuna can from our recycling).
2. Cut long strips of cardboard to the same height as the tin and roll them until they fit tightly into the can.
3. Using a candle or paraffin, drizzle wax on top of the edge of the corrugated cardboard.
4. Place 2-3 birthday candles into the folds. We added lavender for the scent as well.
5. Light your firestarter underneath coals in the smoker chimney. After 15 minutes your coals should be ready to place in the smoker.
Kale Mashed Potatoes
2 large kale stalks
2 T butter (30 mL)
2 T milk (30 mL)
1 tbsp (15 mL) Club House La Grille Steakhouse Onion Burger Seasoning
1. Peel and boil the potatoes
2. Finely chop kale leaves
3. Once potatoes have boiled 25 minutes, drain and mash.
4. Add kale, butter and milk.
5. Stir and cover. The kale will slowly warm with the heat of the potatoes and retain nutrients.
6. To serve, sprinkle with Club House La Grille Steakhouse Onion Burger Seasoning (and drizzle with extra butter if you’re in our house!!)
So… have you ever had an amazing flavour discovery during exotic travel? A hugely successful dinner party where every attendee begged for a recipe? Or maybe you have a family ‘secret’ dish that combines a few odd flavours and always strikes a home run.
Do tell !!
Disclosure: This is a campaign sponsored by Club House. All recipes and anecdotes are our own.