Oven-roasting a split, spice-rubbed kosher turkey breast is one of my all time favorites. This simple recipe for split kosher turkey breast produces perfect results for any Wednesday night, and is especially useful for the upcoming Thanksgiving Holiday meal.
We all love moist delicious meat and leftovers. So I take that into consideration when I count my Thanksgiving dinner guests. I do a more delicious moist different kind of math. Instead of cooking a big 18 pound bird as suggested by the many commercial planning sites, I will cook smaller birds which are easier to manage and which produce superior results and better flavor. For example, if I need enough to serve 12 people, instead of the suggested 18 pound bird, I will roast 2 nine-pound birds plus one or two split kosher turkey breasts.
When I make this really flavorful and easy Spice Roasted Turkey Breast with all the trimmings. I serve it with a complimentary creamy pumpkin spice soup. Now that pumpkins are in the markets, it is important to learn the difference between the Jack-o-lantern pumpkins and the sweet eating kind that rival any of our seasonal squashes for flavor. I adore Trader Joe’s brand canned pumpkin. It makes this recipe easily repeatable and successful.
Spice Roasted Turkey Breast
1 split kosher turkey breast ( about 1 1/2 pounds)
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1-2 tablespoons spice mix 2 yams chunky cubed
2 stalks celery chunky cut
1/2 onion cubed
(use a carrot, fennel, or other root veggies of your preference)
Spice Rub Mix
1 T. granulated garlic
1 T. smoked paprika
1 t. ground allspice
1 t ground cumin
1 t. ground coriander
1 t. ground cinnamon
1 t. cayenne
1 t. celery seeds.
1 t. sea salt
1 t. freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Wash and pat dry the turkey breast.
3. Place in baking dish with enough room for the turkey and the vegetables, I like to use a lasagna pan.
4. Mix the olive oil and the spice blend and whisk together
5. Place the turkey in the roasting pan. Pour the oil & spice rub all over and coat thoroughly on both sides.
6. Place the turkey in the center of the pan and surround with the chunky cut veggies.
7. Place the pan in the oven for 45-55 minutes until a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees.
8. Let Turkey breast “rest” for 10 minutes before serving to allow the juices to re-absorb.
9. Serve with a big green salad and the roasted veggies.