The One Year Old Birthday Party is a celebration not only for your child, but for your family. The milestone of making it through he first year is huge, and a mother and father should take the time to celebrate themselves as much as their child. Many parents skip a formal party altogether, and have a family dinner or quiet evening with their child. Some are so overwhelmed by the last twelve months that a party seems out of the question. Whatever you decide, we suggest that you do something to mark the occasion for yourselves. Lighting a candle, doing a special yoga pose or a walk in the woods can be enough. If parties are you thing… here are the UrbanMommies One Year Old Birthday Party ideas.
Baby’s First Birthday Invitations
1. Tie a single birthday candle with a ribbon and glue to a blank card.
2. Have invites printed with a photo from the day of birth along with a current photo of your child.
3. Using blank folded cards, grab some non-toxic paint and have a fun activity with your child making hand or foot prints on the invitations. Do it in the bathtub for easier cleanup.
4. Companies like TinyPrints have great themed invitations in funky and current designs. If you’re feeling ambitious, you can take advantage of Canada Post’s custom stamps and design one with a photo of baby’s tiny feet or beaming smile.
5. Last minute or think mail is ridiculous? Try an evite invitation and keep it easy and organized.
Goodie Bags and Party Favours
1. We don’t think that any one year old will notice if they leave without a loot bag, but… it can be a nice gesture. Try to get something for the parents that can be used by the baby.
2. Board Books are always a great idea.
3. Travel size wipes, powder and rash cream are constantly needed.
4. If you have the time, a personalized favour is appreciated forever.
5. Why not photocopy your child’s favourite recipes (or just use ours) and make them into a book for the other parents. Cooking and meal planning are always a challenge.
First Birthday Party Games
Really? You actually want to do games with the tots? Why not just take a photo on the sofa of all of the babies together. You can then drink some wine, eat adult food (most parents will bring their child’s favourite snacks anyway) and enjoy the other parents.
1. Our Birthday Party Ideas article offers some themes and activities for parties.
2. Instead of traditional ‘games’, why not begin a new tradition. Have each person write a special wish for baby on a card and continue this every year for the child to read always.
3. Make a time capsule.
4. Have each attendee sign their name on a white tablecloth every year. Have a talented family member embroider each name in a different colour every year. My grandmother did this for me through the school years and I now have an heirloom that is displayed at every birthday.
Unique First Birthday Gifts
1. We always like to get something special for the Mom who has given so much of her love and time to the baby. A necklace with baby’s name on it or a book in which to journal is such a nice thought.
2. If you have the time, try a personalized book. It is a great keepsake and can be read for years by parents and children.
3. A monogrammed tote bag is always appreciated – particularly if the current diaper bag is looking the worse for wear.
4. A homemade CD of music that calms your child, or simply the best tunes to move around to. It might be a perfect solution for a child who gets fussy in the car.
Taking Time For You
The past year has probably been a whirlwind. Take a moment with your partner to remember the birth, remember the high and low points of the year, to cry and laugh. You could write favourite memories, light a candle, have a bubble bath, or sleep all night in bed with your baby – skin to skin. This is your day as much as baby’s and you should be proud of yourself.
– Jill Amery just had a rather significant birthday herself.