One of our most popular posts is about how to connect more with kids. I came up with 36 topics to chat about around the dinner table, and this seems to have filled a big need with readers. Our family could certainly use a few more – especially during a pandemic when we’ve been together for a BILLION YEARS. Ok, 12 months. But that is an awfully long time, even if you all love each other a bunch. Here are 50 family dinner discussion topics (pandemic version), which happen to be a bit deeper than the first batch. Covid. World ending. People dying. Go figure!
Deep Discussion Topics for the Dinner Table
- What’s one thing you would be proud of if you were to die tomorrow?
- What’s been something that you keep naturally doing during the pandemic that means it’s truly part of who you are?
- After the 2020 year, how have your values changed?
- Is there a skill you have learned that you are proud of?
- What is some advice you would give someone who has experienced loss?
- What’s been the scariest part of being alive during a pandemic?
- How has your age group shifted their priorities?
- Is there something you meant to do or learn ‘if you had the time’ that you haven’t learned yet?
- Is there a vice you’ve developed that you want to stop when this ends?
- Is there any way you feel like you have let yourself or others down this past year?
- If you knew that Covid-19 was coming, how would you have prepared?
- What has been the best way that you have helped others during this time?
- What has been the best day during the pandemic?
- What will you tell others one day about 2020 and 2021?
- Is there someone you missed a ton this past year?
17 Things you can do to help others through the covid pandemic
Using Movies to Discuss Difficult Family Topics
Not So Deep Dinner Table Topics
- What food have you discovered that you cannot possibly live without?
- Where will you travel when this is all done and why?
- What items of comfy clothing are still going to trend when this is all done?
- Will you make a point of going to theatre and music when this is done?
- What have you learned during the pandemic that you want to keep doing?
- What’s the best book you read this year?
- What’s the best exercise you got during the time gyms were closed?
- Have you become more or less stressed out this year?
- What’s your new favourite game?
- Is there a hobby you picked up?
- What’s the best way you found to keep in touch with friends?
- Name THE pandemic song for you.
- What’s the best, most creative celebrity contribution to entertainment from home? (Think: John Krasinski’s Some Good News!)
- When you are 80 years old, what will stand out for you from this pandemic?
- Did your values change at all during the time you spent at home?