We’ve all been there. School is out and the days can get long! Children tend to need a little push in the right direction to stay occupied and continue their learning and play during the summer months. Here are a few ideas for activities that will make memories and keep them busy!
1. Use those shells/beach treasures to make a wreath (we love using a foam floatation device, cutting it in half and making an inexpensive wreath form by joining the ends with duct tape).
2. Make a kite
3. Make an at home bubble mixture
4. Sidewalk chalk murals
5. Homemade playdough – or our Goop recipe!
6. Bake a kid-friendly recipe and let them decorate with icing
7. Let each child pick a plant to grow and take care of the whole summer – they can paint the flowerpot
8. Vacation memory jars
9. A sidewalk stand: organic veggies, paintings or flower bouquets can be a great alternative to lemonade
10. Watermelon carving. (Cut another one in half and hollow it out to create a ‘watermelon punch bowl’ for refreshments as the kids carve.)
11. Make paper boats and stage a sailpast
12. Gather wildflowers and press them in old books. (Try to get them to read a bit as you do it!)
13. Make signs, curtains and table linens for the tree/play house
14. Create a treasure hunt map then hide little goodies at each location
15. Summer journal: you can add photos, mementos and have the kids practice writing all summer long