Road trip season is upon us and while we understand why you’re considering faking a flat tire to avoid the imminent whining from the back seat— we challenge you to put aside your fears and create lifelong memories along the ribbons of roads that cross North America. CTV Morning Live invited me on set to chat about these trip tips, and—while organizing for the segment—the nostalgia swept over me and I wanted to share some of my personal family road trip tips with you.
Summer is finally here, meaning you’ll be spending lots of time in the car for day-trips and vacations with the family. We know road trip packing can be stressful – it’s mom’s job to be prepared for the unpredictable and remember everything, right?! To ensure your vacation starts off on the right foot, here is a list of our top summer travel tips and tricks. We’ve also got a Summer Road Trip Travel Essentials Giveaway sponsored by Procter & Gamble to make road tripping easier!
Take time to prep
- Dedicate time well before departure to plan your pack—yes plan. Check the weather forecast, ensure flight times are accurate, check construction and closures and find alternative routes to make a realistic travel route to get you there on time. If flying, remember to double check what you can bring in your carry-on to avoid anything being thrown out.
- Avoid the morning of mad dash to gather all necessary toiletries and invest in a travel set of essentials. Do you need a full size shampoo and conditioner for the family to share, or can you use the adorable mini travel-sized items, like the super cute and convenient mini Scope Outlast ($2.99*) to maintain fresh breath on the go? If you have essentials you just can’t duplicate, like an electronic toothbrush, add them to your last minute pack list.
Make a list, check it twice
- If heading on a road trip, packing the family and your trip essentials can mean a tightly packed car. Making a check list of what you really need will help eliminate those “nice to have” items that will overflow the car.
- Involve the kids – throughout the week have the kids write down items they use in the day on a chalk or white board in a central location (i.e. kitchen fridge). At the end of the week, go through the list together and narrow it down to the must haves. You may be surprised by some of the things you use daily!
To pack it right, pack it light!
- The lighter the better! We know packing with kids and pets it may be difficult to live by this mantra, however keeping things light and simple leaves room for souvenirs.
- Downsize by bringing items that have more uses than one. Bring Pampers Sensitive wipes ($3.99*) – they work wonders for baby’s bottom and do double duty by wiping faces clean of juice spills and other sticky messes. Be sure to have Puffs Basic Tissues ($5.99*) on hand to aid in the unexpected clean up!
- Bounce Free & Sensitive Dryer Sheets ($8.99*) are a great static solution on the go. Rub along your electric-charged clothing item to help remove pesky static!
- When packing clothing, try rolling versus folding. It often helps keep things less-wrinkled and can save space in your suitcase. And to keep everything smelling fresh, longer, spray the inside of your suit case with Febreze Fabric Refresher Extra Strength ($2.99*).
- It’s easy to get tempted by road side stops for fries and ice cream, which can add up and increase your budget. Try bringing cut fruit, veggies and bags of trail mix to help curb everyone’s appetite! And don’t worry about the mess, Bounty DuraTowels White Paper Towels ($3.49*) are perfect for spills and sticky fingers.
- Bathroom pit stops can often be annoying if certain amenities are missing – don’t leave the house without bringing your own Charmin Basic ($4.99*) so you’re always fresh and comfortable. Keep your mouth feeling fresh too by bringing Oral-B Pro-Health Cross Action Manual Toothbrush ($7.99*) and ORAL B Pro-Health Glide Floss($3.99*) so you can head back into the car feeling rejuvenated, ready for the next leg of the trip.
- Long car rides can often result in smells you’d wish you left at home. With leftover snacks sitting around, get rid of the odours by using aFebreze Car Vent Clip Air Freshener ($3.99*) to keep your vehicle fresh for hours and hours.
- Always remember to bring a first aid kit. No one wants to get sick on vacation so be prepared for everything that may get thrown your way. From cuts, bruises, to colds and allergies, be ready to tackle it all so the fun never stops!
You’ve had the chance to test these products throughout the year. Now it’s time to share the love with your readers! We’ve gathered some of the top P&G essentials for any travel vacation this summer. This giveaway is valued at $50* and includes:
- Febreze Car Vent Clip Air Freshener – $3.99*
- Febreze Fabric Refresher Extra Strength – $2.99*
- Scope Outlast – $2.99*
- Charmin Basic – $4.99*
- Puffs Basic Tissues – $5.99*
- Pampers Sensitive wipes – $3.99*
- Bounce Free & Sensitive Dryer Sheets – $8.99*
- Oral-B Pro-Health Cross Action Manual Toothbrush – $7.99*
- ORAL B Pro-Health Glide Floss – $3.99
- Bounty DuraTowels White Paper Towels 2 King Rolls 49 Sheets – $3.49*
Disclosure: I am a P&G Mom and as such am given the opportunity to test many products. I receive compensation in the form of product. All opinions are my own.
Trouble catching some Zzz’s? Febreze is here to help! Achieving the recommended seven to eight hours of sleep each night isn’t always easy. To help you get back to a healthy sleeping routine, Febreze is introducing the NEW Febreze Sleep Serenity collection in three scents – Moonlit Lavender, Warm Milk & Honey and Quiet Jasmine. The new ￼￼collection helps transform any bedroom into a peaceful environment ideal or sleeping. Unwinding during the hours before you climb into bed can make a big difference. Febreze has partnered with the National Sleep Foundation for 5 Tips for Getting to Sleep that will have you counting sheep in no time.