I call this recipe ‘secret’ because it is just so good. It’s my ‘secret weapon’ when I forget I’ve invited people for dinner and haven’t had time to cook anything spectacular, so I pull this from the freezer and douse a bit more wine on top as it bubbles away in a favourite Le Creuset casserole.
Food inspires so many memories for me – this was a staple as I was a little girl, and then growing older in Toronto and on subsequent trips to France I couldn’t stop ordering it. No dish (not even mine) was as spectacular as in a ‘ferme auberge‘ in the Morvan forest. This type of accomodation is like a bed and breakfast, but on a working farm. A certain percentage of the food and wine grapes must come from the near vicinity – so nowhere else in the world will you taste such a spectacular terroir. Lise, the proprietor of the Ferme Auberge ‘La Pierre Des Canes‘ in Villurbain (maybe the naming inspiration for ‘UrbanMommies’!) was the most athletic woman I had ever met – and also the best chef. You saw her wrestling goats and chickens in the morning, and then whisking no less than 6 courses to your table for dinner – after she made cheese in the kitchen.
Though it doesn’t top hers, hopefully when I serve this to you in the future you won’t have read this!!!
- 4 lb. beef blade or chuck steak
- 1 bottle Burgundy
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- bouquet garni
- 2 1/2 oz butter
- 1 chopped carrot
- 1 chopped onion
- 2T. flour
- 12 oz. shallots
- 8 oz. button mushrooms
- Marinate meat, cut in cubes, with wine, garlic and bouquet garni overnight.
- Fry onions, carrot and bouquet garni in half of the butter. Drain and place in covered casserole.
- Preheat oven to 315 degrees.
- Drain meat and reserve marinade. Pat meat dry and fry in batches for about 5 minutes. Add to casserole dish.
- Place the reserved marinade in the pan and deglaze.
- Return casserole to heat and sour flour onto the meat. Stir until meat coated in flour.
- Pour in the marinate, stir and then simmer. Cover and cook 2 hours.
- Heat the remaining butter in the skillet and cook bacon and shallots, stirring 8-10 mins. Drain and then add these as well as the mushrooms to the casserole.
- Cover and return to the oven for 30 minutes. Discard the bouquet garni before serving.