While baking in our house is not reserved for special occasions, I do like to bake up special holiday treats, whether it be Thanksgiving, Christmas or Easter. Though St. Patrick’s Day is not necessarily a big celebration with us, it’s fun to spread a little Irish cheer and a good excuse to bake up something yummy. Plus, if green beer isn’t your bag, this perfectly moist pistachio cake will be totally up your alley.
I first had this style of pistachio cake two years ago at a friend’s house. She had bought it from a fancy shmancy bakery where it’s not uncommon for it to sell out. It was insanely good. I mean the kids devoured it! Delightfully moist with just the perfect touch of sweetness, plus the crunch of the pistachios, made this cake an instant hit. You might even say it’s magically delicious.
So off I went on a mission to find the recipe. (The internet is a wonderful beast.)
While I usually bake from scratch, occasionally I do use box mixes — NOT THAT THERE’S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT — because, hey, those mixes turn out some pretty fabulous cakes, especially with a few tweaks. Adapted slightly from a recipe I found at allrecipes.com, this is a super-easy cake to make — so much so, you might want to bake two: one to give and one to keep.
*Alternately, sprinkle the chopped pistachios on top of the batter just before placing cake in the oven. This will result in a crunchier topping.
Enjoy with tea, coffee or, dare I say, green beer?
- 1 (18.25 ounce/517 gram) package yellow cake mix
- 1 (3.4 ounce/96 gram) package instant pistachio pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (355 millilitres) water
- 1/4 cup (59 millilitres) vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (3 millilitres) almond extract
- 7 drops green food coloring
- 1/4 cup (55 grams) unsalted pistachios, chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) icing/confectioner's sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.
- In a large bowl mix together cake mix and pudding mix. Make a well in the center and pour in eggs, water, oil, almond extract and green food coloring. Blend ingredients, then beat for 2 minutes at medium speed. Stir in pistachios*.
- Pour into prepared 10 inch tube pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly pressed. Cool in pan 15 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- Using a wire mesh strainer, lightly dust the cake with icing sugar.