Quirkiness can be a great thing – especially at Hallowe’en. The best part of living in a true quirky community with lots of kids is that we all go overboard on October 31st. As part of a neighbourhood of film directors and actors, kids flock to our area to experience the wonder of the holiday. Bouncers control the crowds lining up to enter haunted mansions and adults stay in character all night. My favourite night of the year, giggles and screams can be heard for miles. The only downfall to being the scariest, quirkiest neighbourhood? We all run out of candy. But it’s worth it! Here are a few tips and tricks (he he) or making your home super scary for Halloween.
1. Stimulate the senses. Download some eerie music, hide mothballs all over the porch and cover the walkway with crunchy cereal to create a multi-sensory experience.
2. Halloween films playing in the background add to your character.
3. No need to spend a ton of time and money on a costume. A rumpled man’s suit, white face powder and greasy hair can go a long way. Refuse to speak and move slowly. Scary.
4. For our thespian readers, try a full scene. Sit in a rocking chair on the porch and rock rhythmically while another person creates a shadow in a window above. The humming of a sewing machine and knitting are also somehow terrifying. Or maybe that’s just me. (Don’t get me started on clowns!)
5. Serve up some scary treats.
6. If you like the individual goody-bag idea, use surgical gloves as the bag and tie with ribbon.
7. Lighting is crucial. Glowsticks in mason jars can be placed under plants and trees for an eerie glow.
8. If you have a puppy, chances are you have some body parts from dolls lying around. Fill a jar with Barbie heads and another with assorted legs. Liquid inside and more glowsticks perfect the image.
9. Get your kids in the mood throughout the whole day. Over the month of October we’ll be publishing lots of ‘scary’ breakfast and lunch ideas.
10. Catch the kids off guard. Maybe an entirely dark entryway has a spotlight on one item: an old-fashioned telephone that may ring when approached. (Call it from inside.) The kids may run, hide or answer.
I am not sure yet. I think a witch and pirate
My son wants to be a sexy nurse. Makes me laugh.
My older kids are going as The Walking Dead. Still debating on the younger ones costumes.
A strawberry! 🙂
Witch & monkey:)
I don’t have any kids but as a child I remember one year dressing up as a Pioneer woman.
My son wants to go out as a zombie for halloween
I don’t have kids, but I usually dress up as a vampire or a witch for the trick or treaters! We’ve got the cool haunted house on the block lol
A Victorian girl
Penguin or platypus <- he's still deciding
still not sure, shes only 1 and half so its all good ill get one soon
my son is grown up but we used to love making his costume every year. I always dress up to give out candy. This year i’m thinking a dark fairy.
The Cat in the Hat – so 1 cat & 1 hat.
Frankenstein and cowgirl
They haven’t decided yet
no idea yet. I am gonna be willie from duck dynasty
he is still not sure what to be this year
My eldest son wants to be an Angry Bird (the yellow one) and my youngest son will be Darth Vader!
Rapunzel and a pingouin
my youngest is going as minnie mouse not sure what the oldest if she even is but I always dress up as raggedy anne
My son will be willy from duck dynasty, my daughter is mary poppins… quite the pair haha
my little grandchildren will be witches and goblins 😀
My 7 year old wants to be a ninja and my 2 year old wants to be a princess.
I am not sure what I am going to dress my little ones in yet? They are 1.5 and 2.5 so they cant tell me what they want to be .
I have no small kids but always enjoy seeing the little ones at the door
not sure yet probably something scary he’s 13
My daughter wants to be a flower….. lol so i said thats not scarey she said a scarey flower ha ok you got me
My boy a Pirate and my girl a Witch 🙂
…Have no idea !!!
we have a gypsy and a witch so far
Possibly Batman for one and Scream ghost costume for another
totally unsure. I know my youngest will be a tiger, what my 5 and 6 year old’s will be I still don’t know!
My daughter is a detective/Nancy Drew and my son is a spider.
Think she’s going as a isolation nurse….or a germaphob…lol
A doll and pirate!
bumblebee and a princess
fairy princes for my 2 year old and entymologist for my 7 year old
My one son is going to be The Joker and the other The Hulk!
Mater from cars
We have Willie from Duck Dynasty and Iron Man!
My youngest will be a ninja and my oldest will be a ghoul
A zombie and someone from monster high
My boys are both going to be Ninjas
My son is going to be a zombie!
One is a superhero, not sure which yet, and the other is going to be a fairy.
My boy will be a vampire.
My son is going out as a dinosaur!
Had to put my foot down as my daughter wanted to go out as Miley Cyrus.
My youngest son is being a skeleton this year and my oldest has decided he is too old to dress up or trick-or-treat!
They haven’t decided yet!!!
Spiderman and a witch!
a vampire ghost who was in a toxic waste accident and now glows…. super fun to sew that one lol
My daughter is going to be a purple butterfly, and my little guy who just turned one is going to be a little tiger!
my daughter is going to be a strawberry
Anakin for my son and Yoda for my daughter.
One will be a geisha and the other Pinkie Pie from My Little Pony.
My kids are a little older now so it is mostly Halloween parties but I have a Mario ( her friend is luigi) I have a zombie and a mummy lol
Marie Antoinette, complete with scary neck wound (she’s old enough that it’s okay)
a pumpkin… tres cute.