As you will see in the video – the whole family is ill right now! This Greek Lemon Chicken Soup is a nourishing, delicate recipe that punches with flavour and hopefully makes everyone in my house better! This recipe calls for couscous, but you can replace this with quinoa, orzo or larger-format Israeli couscous.
We make our own stock whenever we cook a roast, bake a chicken, or any other meat with bones. I also regularly clean out my vegetable drawer and make veggie stock. All of these can be frozen and used when cooking rice or making soups and sauces.
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sweet onion
- 1 large lemon, zested
- 5 boneless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 2 ounces crumbled feta
- 1/3 cup chopped chive
- Salt and pepper
- Place the olive oil in a large 6-8 quart sauce pot over medium-low heat. Peel the onion. Then quarter it and slice into thin strips. Once the oil is hot, saute the onion and minced garlic for 3-4 minutes to soften.
- Add the chicken stock, chicken cubes, lemon zest, celery and crushed red pepper to the pot. Raise the heat to high, cover, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium, then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the quinoa, 1 teaspoon salt, and black pepper to taste. Simmer another 5 minutes. Then turn the heat off.
- Stir in the crumbled feta cheese and chopped spanish onions or chives. Serve warm.