This is a great recipe for 9 months and on. Just be very careful that there are no bones in the chicken! You can puree the whole thing for the really little ones. Babies tend to like the mild flavour of the rice, and the broth packs a ton of nutrients into the meal.
- 1 pound boney chicken bits
- 1 large carrot-scraped and cut into chunks
- Green tops of 1-2 leeks or 1 onion quartered
- 4 cups of spring water
- ½ cup white rice
- Rinse the chicken bits and vegetables and put them into a roomy pot with the spring water.
- Bring to a boil, allow the spring water a single belch and skim off the grey foam that rises.
- Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 30-40 minutes until well flavoured and reduced by half.
- Strain, discarding the solids, blot the surface of the soup to remove any traced of fat.
- Let cool and store in fridge for no longer than a week.
- Tip: To keep for longer freeze in ice cube trays.
- Measure 1 ¼ cup of broth into a small pan and add the rice.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes till the rice is perfectly soft and tender.
© 2021 Copyright 2020 UrbanMommies
Brown Rice and Quinoa Baby Food