This is a great dish to serve at a summer BBQ or party.
For the chicken breast:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp honey
1 whole chipotle pepper (you can get these canned at most grocery stores)chopped finely
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 tbsp tomato paste
Salt and pepper
For the grilled veggie salad:
1 red pepper
1 granny smith apple
Olive oil, salt and pepper
To make chicken breast:
1. Mix all ingredients except chicken in a small pot and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce to a simmer and keep it that way for 10 minutes, until the sauce is slightly thick.
3. Allow the sauce to slightly cool, then toss the chicken breast in with the sauce, coating the chicken well and put in fridge to marinade. Allow to marinade for at least 20 minutes.
While you wait for those flavours to be absorbed, let’s get started on the grilled veggie salad.
1. Cut the zucchini on a bias into 1/2 inch thick pieces.
2. Cut the red pepper in half and take out the seeds.
3. Cut the apple into 1/2 inch thick pieces and take out the center core.
4. Lay all the veggies out on a tray and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
All right, now you’re ready to grill these up!
1. Preheat grill to medium high.
2. Spread out the veggies on the grill and leave on there for 3-4 minutes per side, until they are well marked. Remove from grill.
3. Remove chicken from marinade and place the chicken on the grill. Grill for 6-7 minutes per side.
4. If you like it spicy, baste the chicken with the leftover marinade before flipping it over.
5. While the chicken is grilling, slice the veggie salad into thin strips and place in a bowl.
6. When chicken is done, slice it into thin strips and place over the grilled veggie salad.
Voila! You have a wonderful, light, summer meal ready to eat.
*If you don’t have a grill:
1. Preheat broiler in oven.
2. Preheat a frying pan to high and add 1 tsp olive oil. Take the chicken out of the marinade and place on the pan (careful, it will “spray” a bit) 3. Brown both sides of the chicken breast (about 2 minutes per side) and place on a tray lined with foil.
4. On that same tray, place all of the veggies in a single layer.
5. Put it all in the oven under the broiler for 5-7 minutes per side.
6. When it is done, cut it all into strips and toss together as you would a salad.