Rarely do I feel as if I could take on Bobby Flay or Giada De Laurentiis. But I have discovered a secret weapon for busy mothers who haven’t been to the grocery store alone in nearly a decade, let alone had time to develop unique Mexican sauces in a traditional style – a full spice shelf! In my household, my partner is BBQ grill-obsessed, and our new Weber has been a huge success. While he grills, my roll is to prepare veggies and sauces – between kids, laundry, working and filling out a myriad of school permission slips! So I must admit that I don’t do everything from (ahem) scratch.
Here’s how we went Mexican Gourmet using tomahawk steaks:
Mexican Tomahawk Steak Carne Asada Tacos
1 T. taco seasoning
1 t. garlic powder
1. Marinate the steaks in lime juice for 2 hours.
2. Heat the grill to 400 degrees.
3. Rub the steaks with seasoning.
4. Place the steaks on the grill – approximately 10 minutes each side for medium.
5. Prepare the guacamole by mixing mashed avocado, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice or lemon juice, 2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup of minced red onion or thinly sliced green onion. Add 1-2 serrano chiles, and 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped.
6. Chop the tomahawk steaks after allowing them to rest for 5 minutes and assemble your delectable tacos.