I’m basically haunted when it comes to mobile phones. I even wrote an article once about ‘The Curse of the Blackberry Pearl’ (please, GenY, don’t do the math here.) Point is: if something can go wrong with my phone, it will. Whether by drowning (ask my toddler why ‘mama’s phone needs a bath’), fire (resting it on a heater so the innards melted), innumerable technical malfunctions (I don’t think phones are meant to withstand the sheer number of photos I take and store), loss or theft (usually involving enough wine so that I have no clue which is which) or a number of other potential maladies, it’s a *thing* and my cell phones just don’t make it.
On one hand, this sucks a lot. As anyone who lives on this planet knows: our world revolves around mobile computing. We do everything from socialize to schedule, conduct business to create art, buy groceries to pay our mortgages—we simply can’t do without it. On the other hand, it’s pretty awesome to be forced to get a brand new phone every 6 months to a year, especially when the major brands have such cool new features.
One of the big boys, Samsung Canada, recently announced the Canadian retail availability of the next generation of its iconic Galaxy line of smartphones—the S7 and S7 Edge. Unpacked internationally at Mobile World Congress on February 21st, these devices look gorgeous and are powerful performers: just the thing I’m looking for in a new mobile compadre.
It’s hard to choose, but the 5.1-inch Galaxy S7 and 5.5-inch Galaxy S7 edge both feature brand new innovations such as Dual Pixel faster auto focus and a larger (f1.7) aperture for stunning still and motion picture quality even in low light. The devices are also the first to support Vulkan API for PC-quality gaming (not a feature that means much to me, but definitely has a large and interested audience) as well as reintroducing features that Samsung Galaxy users love like expandable storage (coming from the iPhone camp—this feature is almost hard to imagine) and IP68 dust and water resistance.
About the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge:
- Get the shot in 0.15 seconds: The Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge are the first Dual Pixel smartphones, letting you get the shot in 0.15 seconds. With a 12MP camera and a larger (f1.7) aperture, the camera owns the night captures the moments that matter like never before, even in low light.
- Style and substance: Both devices are built using 3D glass and metal to offer a streamlined design. With a stunning 5.1″ Quad HD Super AMOLED Display (5.5″ for Galaxy S7 edge) these smartphones are designed to not just look beautiful, but feel great in your hands. Plus, with an always-on display, stay up to date on the time, calendar and notifications without having to wake up your screen.
- Water and dust resistant: The Galaxy S7 and S7 edge are IP68 Dust and Water Resistant, offering practical benefits without sacrificing overall design.
- PC-quality gaming: The first smartphones to support Vulkan API, the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge put impressive PC-like animation, graphics and speed in the palm of your hand.
- Enhanced Performance: Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge deliver fast wired and wireless charging technology. Additionally, the hybrid SIM card tray allows users to insert a microSD card for up to 200GB of additional storage
- Immerse yourself in VR: The Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge are fully compatible with the Samsung Gear VR. With more content and titles available than ever before, Canadians can now truly experience the power of VR.
- Capture and share in 360: Announced at Mobile World Congress and confirmed to be coming to Canada in 2016, the Samsung Gear 360 camera (sold separately) lets Samsung Galaxy users create their own 360 virtual reality content to enjoy on the Gear VR.
- Samsung Pay: Samsung Pay, the ground-breaking mobile payment service, is planned to be available for Canadian consumers in 2016. With the ability to pay almost anywhere you can swipe or tap your card, Samsung devices including the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge will make mobile payment simple.
- Samsung KNOX: Use the Samsung Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge with peace of mind knowing that Samsung KNOX keeps your work and personal data defense-grade secure.
- NHL partnership: With the Samsung Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge, Samsung brings you closer to the action through exclusive NHL content through the NHL app.
Water resistance, huh? In my books, that’s a feature that could really help break the mobile phone curse. Now if only it had an invisibility mode to defend against technology loving toddlers…