Well, the time is here. For weeks, parents, teachers and school boards have been fretting about how to proceed. A back to school pandemic plan is a tough one. While many students head back to a modified classroom in person, there are thousands of kids who will opt for homeschooling, distance or online learning.
My kids were lucky to have a full curriculum which began almost as soon as schools closed in March. They were at their desks for the whole school day, as the rest of the family worked from home. Parts of it – like ensuring they ate lunch and snacks – were hugely advantageous. Other bits, like catching them trying to zoom in bed with video off were not…
Here’s my list, speaking from experience, of school supplies for kids going back to school online. I’m planning on snatching up a few of these for my own productivity.
- Wolf Paw Fuzzy slippers. What kid wouldn’t want to get up for regular stretch breaks walking around with paws??! Available at Lazy One. $24.99
- iPad Air. My old iPads can do none of this, and there is nothing like the portability – especially for fall learning excursions to the park or socially distanced education boosters to the art gallery. These iPads can be used with Apple Pencil (an amazing way to collaborate with other kids or teachers from a distance), and Smart Keyboard. The front-facing camera is allows them to join the rest of the class from home — just connect to wifi or enable LTE. At Apple From $649 CAD.
- A great piece of art for wall behind them on video calls. We’ve all seen it – even on national news! Somebody has a broken lamp and a crooked, nasty-looking photo in the frame. With so little social interaction, why not let the kids’ personality shine by framing some of their best work? This art display case from Michael’s is just the thing. $39
- Hoodies and joggers. We all know it’s the ‘loungewear era’. I love the fabric of this well-priced George fleece from Walmart Canada. $10
- A great desk. This Piano Desk from Kids at Home makes me want to work from home all the time! Their stock is made in Canada and they offer free delivery as well. $949
- Noise-cancelling headphones. I use my AirPods on a daily basis during Zoom meetings, but I have heard great things about Beats by Dr. Dre for real noise cancellation. $379
- A cool fountain pen. Now that they have the opportunity to actually learn cursive. (ahem), it’s time for a great pen. When I llived in Germany all the kids had very cool ones, and this is no exception from Lamy. Available at Fendrihan. $44
- Wiggle Stool. The Storex Wiggle Stool is incredible for kids who hate to sit still. It helps focus by allowing them to move while working. It’s height adjustible and features a non-skid base. $130
- A great hot chocolate mug. This Yeti Rambler mug comes in all sorts of colours as well as a stackable version. $35
- A Yoga Kit. No matter how serene the house, kids need some stretching and exercise. This kit from Canadian Tire even features an Outer Space Blastoff CD so homeschooling parents can get a minute to breathe too. $30