Jump to recipe
This fresh and healthy recipe for lemony lentils with kale packs a punch of nutrients and stays warm in a dutch oven while you pry the kids off to a fun activity! It’s filled with iron in the kale, and the lentils aren’t their normal chalky, flavourless selves because of the lemon punch. It’s a great side to roast chicken or fish. Delicious.
This takes about 20 minutes to prep and 40 minutes to cook, but making a big batch on a Sunday and keeping extra in the fridge means healthy snacks for the next few days. You can try different colour lentils for interest. Even swapping one fast food jaunt each month for a healthy dish like this will up your family’s nutrition game.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1/2 pound green lentils
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir onion and carrot in the hot oil until softened, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, thyme sprigs, kosher salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes; cook and stir to coat, 1 minute.
- Stir lentils, tomatoes and their juice, and chicken stock into onion mixture. Cover and simmer until lentils are tender, about 40 minutes. Add kale, lemon zest, and lemon juice; cook until kale in wilted, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper.
© 2022 Copyright 2020 UrbanMommies
Matcha Kale Power Smoothie
Risotto, Kale and Spinach Cakes with Parmesan