Keeping a clean house when you have pets can be a challenge. Having a cat or dog is such an amazing part of childhood for our kids, but cleaning up after them can be a pain, especially if you entertain regularly like we do. We try to keep the house ready for unexpected guests and that means being proactive to stop messes before they start. Here are our best tips:
- Keep a towel by the door to wipe down your dog when it comes in from doing its business outside. Wipe them down and pay particular attention to paws.
- Vacuum and sweep regularly – make it part of your routine. This is also a chore your kids could take on as part of responsible pet ownership. If you have a slipcover on your furniture, make sure to launder it regularly to keep it hair-free.
- Store food in a sealed container to reduce risks of spills. A plastic tub works well, otherwise make sure to keep them away from prying paws to avoid disaster.
- Nose prints can sneak up on you, but you can use a soft cloth to wipe down windows, televisions, stainless steel appliances and glass tables to restore them to their former glory.
- Look for a pet food that will reduce hairballs to reduce messes on the rug. It’s more comfortable for the cat to not be spitting things up all the time.
- Make time for regular grooming so there’s less stray hair. Keeping your pet neat and clean can go a long way to a tidier home.
The most important component for cat owners is the litter box. You want to make sure you are set to avoid unpleasant odours. That’s why ScoopFree self-cleaning litter boxes are so handy.
ScoopFree® self-cleaning litter boxes can be left alone for weeks at a time. It is the only self-cleaning litter box that uses disposable litter trays to provide hands-off convenience and unbeatable odour control.
The automatic rake system sweeps waste into the covered compartment 20 minutes after your cat uses the litter box. Safety sensors will detect if your cat re-enters the box and the 20-minute timer will reset. It also really works, it’s been lab tested for 100,000+ cycles without failure or jamming. That’s dependability you can count on!
The litter box uses a special crystal litter, packed in a convenient disposable litter tray. It’s five times more effective at reducing odour than clay or clumping litters. Your cat will always have a clean, fresh-smelling litter box, and you’ll enjoy a home that’s effortlessly odour-free.
It’s neat and tidy too! Disposable litter trays have a leak-proof lining for easy cleanup and you need less of it – a lot less. ScoopFree uses five to ten times less litter than clay and clumping litter. For best results, replace the litter tray every 20 – 30 days for one cat, every 10 – 15 days for 2 cats, or every 7 – 10 days for 3 cats. You might need to replace the litter tray more often if you have senior cats, kittens, or cats who eat a diet high in crude fibre, ash, and by products.
You don’t have to sacrifice having a clean home just because you are a pet lover. With these simple steps, you can be company ready in a home that looks purr-fect, just the way you like it.
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by PetSafe® Canada but all opinions are our own.