Jump to recipe
Is there anything possibly more satisfying than a great butter chicken spread over basmati rice? (Besides a good chardonnay to go with it). My kids adore Indian butter chicken, and you can vary the degree of spice based on your taste (and their tolerance!). The list of ingredients may be long, but check out the 2-step directions. Complex flavours and easy assembly. We heart you, slow cooker butter chicken. Sorry, but we can’t help with the pakoras.
Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts and thighs
- 1 onion, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 15 cardamom pods (put them in cheesecloth and tie with a string so they won't escape)
- 2 teaspoons curry
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- (optional - green peas, broccoli, chick peas)
- Put chicken in a large slow cooker, and add onion, garlic, and all of the dry spices. Throw in the butter and tomato paste. Add lemon juice and coconut milk. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 4. The chicken should shred easily with 2 forks when fully cooked.
- I like to add some easy veggies into the mix so 30 minutes before serving I add mini peas and broccoli to up the nutrition factor. You could even add dried chickpeas at the beginning.
- Stir in plain yogurt 15 minutes before serving. Discard cardamom pods. Salt to taste, serve slow cooker butter chicken with white or brown basmati rice.
© 2023 Copyright 2020 UrbanMommies
You can try our easy weeknight butter chicken too!