Given that my dog just sort of got impounded (it wasn’t my fault)… I thought I should do a shout out to the SPCA! Especially if it’s called National Cupcake Day.
National Cupcake Day on February 24th, is the first-ever collaborative fundraising effort supporting animal welfare societies across Canada. It’s easy and delicious to participate. Register your participation online at: www.nationalcupcakeday.ca; plan a cupcake party at work, home or school; start fundraising by encouraging friends and family to donate online in advance; bake your favourite cupcakes; share them with family and friends; and collect donations to prevent cruelty to animals. All proceeds will support furry friends, big and small, who have been abused or abandoned, or are in need of help. For more details, please visit the website at www.nationalcupcakeday.ca.
Everyone is encouraged to become a National Cupcake Day Host and join an exceptional group of supporters who understand the importance of companion animals in our lives. Here’s how to get involved:
- Beginning Jan. 6, register for FREE at www.nationalcupcakeday.ca
- You will receive a FREE Cupcake Host Welcome Package in the mail, which includes a poster, sticker, balloons, fundraising guide and recipes to get you started
- Personalize your National Cupcake Day Online Bakery page and send it out to everyone you know
- Encourage friends and family to support you by donating online
- Plan your National Cupcake Day Party for home, work, school or wherever you think people would love to eat your cupcakes
- Bake, decorate, eat and share delicious cupcakes to raise funds to support animals in need
- Collect and forward funds to your local SPCA (visit www.nationalcupcakeday.ca for details)
Pupcake Recipe – for your four-legged friend!
Serve up these doggy cupcakes in moderation – we don’t want your poodle addicted to strudel!
2 ¾ cups water
¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
¼ teaspoon vanilla
4 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup dried apple pieces (you can also use fresh fruit)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 egg, beaten
4 tablespoons honey
Preheat your oven to 350°. Spray cupcake tin with cooking spray. Mix wet ingredients thoroughly. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients slowly, scraping well to make sure no dry mixture is left. Pour into cupcake tins. Bake for 30 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the centre and if it comes out dry, they are done. Cool completely and serve. Store in a sealed container. Makes 12-14 cupcakes.