There is something decadent and phenomenally special about perfectly formed sushi rolls scattered across a rectangular plate. The chefs at Beaches Turks and Caicos Soy restaurant know this all too well. While at the Beaches Mom’s conference in October I got my first sushi rolling lesson and can say that I’m hooked?!? Like the tuna was that ended up inside covered with spicy sauce! It was unbelievable, you have to try it for yourself. With these handy instructions, you can do so right in the comfort of your own home (though I think you should fly down and try it firsthand, it’s worth it!)
Learn How To Make Sushi For Yourself:
1. Make your rice. Use 2 cups sushi rice to 3 cups water, 1 cup rice wine vinegar, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt. It will turn out perfectly!
2. Chop spicy tuna finely.
3. Add Sesame oil and siracha and lemon juice and mayo. Leave overnight.
3. Use olive oil on hands.
4. Place Saran on counter.
5. Spread rice on a sushi mat if you want the rice to end up on the outside of the roll.
6. Place filling on a 3 inch line along one side.
7. Roll gently yet tightly, making sure the mat doesn’t get stuck inside your roll.
It’s just that easy and it tastes delicious! Getting your kids involved with making sushi is a great way to connect and make something yummy at the same time. It’s also ideal for expanding young palates to enjoy food from all around the world. Make your kitchen a hub of conversation and global flavour. Let me know how it all turns out! Enjoy!
Here are some photos of the process and our experience at the resort:
Disclosure: We attended Beaches Turks and Caicos as part of a Social Media on The Sand event and were offered a discounted stay. That said, all opinions are my own and the sushi was really good! I wouldn’t lie about sushi!