Canned soups are a great way to prepare great meals quickly, but there’s no such thing as gluten free dairy free cream soups in the supermarket! … Or, at least they’re really hard to find.
You don’t have to look far anymore to find someone with a food allergy of some kind. Fortunately for me, I am the only one in our house with special dietary needs. An allergy to wheat and an intolerance of dairy make it difficult for me to enjoy family favorites, like biscuits and gravy. While I can’t indulge in the wheat and dairy heavy options, I have found a workaround for a few meals that I’m not quite ready to give up on. And it is surprisingly easy!
Using this recipe for cream of celery, cream of mushroom, and cream of chicken soup, you can replace a can of conventional creamed soup within minutes.
- Cooking oil or a dairy free butter substitute
- 1/2 cup finely minced celery
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 Tablespoons corn starch
- Heat the oil or butter substitute in a heavy bottomed sauce pan on medium heat. Add in the celery pieces, season with salt and pepper, and sautee a few minutes.
- Pour in 1 1/2 cups of the broth.
- While the broth in the pan heats up, mix the remaining 1/2 cup of broth with the 3 Tbs of corn starch until the starch has completely dissolved.
- Once the broth in the pan is steaming, slowly stir in the corn starch mixture. Continue to stir until the broth is boiling, boil for 1 minute, and then remove from heat.
- Either refrigerate the soup or dish it out into half cup portions and freeze for long term storage. I love using giant silicone muffin cups for portioning and freezing. They stack nicely once frozen and can be plucked out by 1/2 cup pucks for recipes as needed. Keep them in a freezer friendly zip-lock storage bag and use within 6 months.
Cream of celery soup is what I use to give my salmon chowder an extra boost of flavor.
Use the same recipe, just substitute a small can of drained mushrooms for the celery, to make a cream of mushroom soup that lends great flavor to gravy and beef stroganoff.
Or forego the vegetables and use chicken broth to make a cream of chicken soup that is dynamite with chicken and dumplings.