My goal is to try new and creative recipes this winter to reconnect with my love for salad, starting with this amazing Kale and Hazelnut Winter Salad recipe featuring kale, carrots, dates, hazelnuts and a warm dressing drizzled on top.
It’s sweet and tangy with just the right amount of crunch.
Also, it’s super easy to whip up. I just chopped the kale, added matchstick carrots (the pre-cut ones in the vegetable aisle), chopped dates (which I keep on hand to curb sweet cravings, both for me and the kids), and the rest of the ingredients. It took less than 10 minutes to assemble. Then I heated up the dressing, poured it on top and enjoyed a big bowl for lunch.
It really hits the spot!
This recipe makes a big batch, so you can easily split it up into single lunch servings and just heat up the dressing each day (I used the stove top, but you can use a microwave, especially if you’re at the office). The warm dressing is a nice touch, because it softens the kale leaves and red onions, and really makes the salad more special.
I hope you enjoy this winter salad as much as I did. Here’s to eating our greens all winter long!
- 8 kale leaves
- 4 cups of matchstick carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped dried dates
- 1/3 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/3 cup crushed toasted hazelnuts
- ¼ cup turbinado or coconut sugar
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Small pinch garlic salt
- Wash, dry and chop kale for the salad. Ideally, rolling each leaf up and slicing it into thin threads.
- In large serving bowl, mix together kale, matchstick carrots, dates, red onion and hazelnuts. Set aside.
- In a sauce pan, mix sugar, vinegar, olive oil, garlic salt and black pepper over low heat for approximately 1 minute. Stir to dissolve sugar completely. While dressing is lukewarm, drizzle over salad. Mix to coat and serve immediately.