Baby-proofing and picking out nursery colours aren’t the only things expecting parents must do to prepare for a new baby in the home. Training and preparing the family dog for the baby’s arrival is essential. To help young families and families-to-be, Bark Busters, the world’s largest dog training company, has developed a cheat sheet for parents. Just like so many other aspects of parenting, the more you prepare beforehand, the easier it will be. So this what to expect from Your dog when you’re expecting
Ok, ladies. There are times when life gives you the opportunity to begin afresh. Becoming a Mom is definitely one of them. We’re not advocating huge changes like becoming vegan or moving to Mauritius, but there are a few things you might want to consider to ward off the blues, make yourself feel great and ensure you’re getting the respect that you deserve. So here’s a list of things to do when you become a mom..
1. Make sure you get dressed and put on lip gloss every day. It’s a slippery slope.
2. Evaluate your email address. Recently we’ve gotten job applications from ‘sexyfox’, ‘jennluvs69’, and maria1977. Do you think your private life and your age should really be out there for all to see? You are a mom now, woman.
3. Get a sexy pair of flat, rubber-soled shoes or boots.
4. Make sure your bra fits.
5. Ensure your wardrobe includes a killer black dress, a white blouse, and a nice belt.
6. Throw away all socks with holes, hose with runs, dead lipsticks, pilled sweaters and stained t-shirts. Oh, college sweats too. I bet Stacy London’s list would be even longer but we can start with these.
7. Find out what your husband/partner finds attractive as sleepwear, and make sure you have some.
8. Don’t put on something that has spit-up on it. EVEN TO GO TO THE GROCERY STORE.
9. Keep a few garbage bags in the car so you can toss the trash each time you think of it. Someone tweeted us recently that sprouts were growing in their car. Ick.
10. Get a good diaper bag/purse that makes you smile and shows your style. It will be with you for longer than you can imagine.
– Jill Amery is a grownup.
Girls might just want to have fun, but sometimes we just have to shed a few tears and dig into a tub of Ben and Jerry’s. It’s healthy to cry, but if you’re having a bit of trouble turning on the waterworks, try the UrbanMommies playlist. And of course, if the tears don’t stop, you might want to read about breaking points and postpardom depression.
1. Because of You (Kelly Clarkson)
2. My Immortal (Evanescence)
3. How to Save a Life (The Frey)
Your babysitter got the flu and suddenly you have no childcare and your best friends wedding is tomorrow! Finding a nanny on short notice can be a challenge but luckily you’ve got options!
Nannies on Call is Canada’s premier childcare agency serving Calgary, Vancouver, Victoria, Toronto and the Okanagan. We have been offering exceptional on call nanny services since 2001.
You can put your mind at ease knowing that all of our nannies have been carefully screened – we ensure that our nannies are highly experienced, educated women with a passion for childcare.
Whether you require last minute, long-term help, or simply a night on the town, Nannies on Call will help you find the perfect solution for your family. Our nannies are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to care for your children. Simply contact us to let us know your needs!
Michelle Kelsey is the founder of Nannies On Call. In 2001, Michelle launched a small nanny referral service with one pager, five nannies and a determination to never find herself without reliable childcare. Nannies on Call now counts over 250 nannies, with offices in 4 cities. www.nanniesoncall.com
I’m really not much of a spa person. I can’t relax, I get bored, and I just want my nails to dry already. I have to turn my cell phone off, and most estheticians make me feel like my skin is dry (not enough water) and I have cellulite (too much coffee). Thanks. Needless to say, I didn’t enter the Miraj Hammam Spa expecting to feel much better about myself upon departure. They proved me wrong. I entered (late) into the gorgeous space and was made to feel instantly at ease – not ostracized at all for the tardiness or for not knowing where to put my shoes when I donned the slippers one wears to the ‘baths’.
Having and raising children can be an anxiety-provoking experience, particularly for new parents. In most cases, the worries and anxious thoughts of parenthood are fleeting and completely normal. However, when a parent begins to feel overwhelmed, different coping strategies are needed. How will you know if you are experiencing anxiety?