The comfort of babies as they grow becomes increasingly important. In their world of exploration and development, they need a diaper that enables them play freely, providing great a fit and stay drier.
Summer travel means quality time with family. New places, new experiences, and spending time with each other. Clek, the award-winning car seat company, offers the following tips for a fun and safe vacation:
1. Ensure your destination is child friendly.
Find out if your destination will accommodate infants and toddlers to ensure you have a relaxing vacation. Check online reviews to find out if it is family-friendly.
2. Travel safely.
“Whether you’re traveling by air or ground, ensure you have access to a car seat for each child. Best practice is to bring your own child seat because you know it’s history and you’re familiar with how to use and install it,” says Trudy Slaght, Clek’s Child Passenger Safety Technician. “Beyond safety, bringing your own car seat gives your child a familiar place to sit, making for an easier trip.”
Transport Canada highly recommends the use of an approved child restraint for all phases of flight. It will provide the greatest degree of protection for the infant or child and its use during flight will help in case of turbulence. By using the child restraint on the aircraft, it will also ensure that you will have it available for use in the car at your destination.
Don’t worry about going over the carry-on limit for air travel, you’re allowed the extra item when it is a car seat. Plus, Clek’s weelee is a universal travel bag that makes bringing your own car seat a breeze!
3. Give yourself extra time.
Everything takes longer with kids so arrive early. For air or bus travel this means you can have your seats pre-assigned to save you from any last minute hassle. For road trips, be sure to get a good night’s sleep, it’s imperative to be alert for the long drive. Don’t over pack your vehicle so as to impede visibility. Plan pit stops along the way: playgrounds, parks, landmark attractions, etc. Buckle up and have fun!
4. Plan what to bring.
You won’t have access to all your preferred comforts on the road. Beyond your packed items, bring these essentials with you that should be easily accessible:
For baby: Diapers, wipes, change pads, bottles, extra clothes, formula, etc.
First Aid Kit: Band aids, hand sanitizer, antiseptic cream, gauze pads, plastic bag (for car sickness), medicine, etc.
Snacks: water, drink boxes, easy-to-eat snacks (i.e. sandwiches, cheese, apple slices, granola bars, cookies, cereal raisins, crackers, etc.)
Favourite toy: A familiar object will make your child more comfortable on the road (i.e. teddy bear, blanky, pillow, book, etc.). Keep in mind it could get lost. Something special and new for the trip can make it extra fun too.
Other: sunblock, bug spray, flashlight, phone charger, gps/road side assistance plan, maps, disposable toilet seat covers, etc.
Follow these tips and you’re sure to have a safe, fun, family adventure!
Ding dong!! The long days of summer are ‘falling’ (see what we did there?) into chillier evenings and it’s time to whip out the ol’ credit card for back to school. On the bright side, there are no more camp or childcare fees… We’ve scoured the web to find our special back to school picks for 2014. What’s on your list?
1. Booginhead Pack ’ems – from the creators of Squeeze ’ems come these funky reusable velcro snack pouches.
2. National Geographic Kids Cookbook – Join Barton Seaver—master chef and National Geographic Explorer—on a year-round culinary adventure as he explores what it takes to create the ultimate dish. Available for pre-order and will surely help with the school lunches.
3. Kids graduating to a locker? Start them off right with a locker shelf to keep them organized.
4. Set up your command center in a stylish way with this funky chevron cork board.
5. The HP 300s+ Scientific Calculator is a great investment that will carry the kids into the future of schooling and science. PS – it’s durable!!
6. Logitech’s Colour Collection wireless mouse will make them race to the homework desk.
7. Kid Made Modern crayons from Target.
8. The new HÅRTE LED work lamp from Ikea in Chrome-plated aluminum and powder coated steel is a cool $14.99.
9. Hilroy neon 3-Ring Binder from Target.
10. Joe Fresh is always on our back to school hitlist and this year they didn’t disappoint. Check out these sparkly sneakers!
11. Post-it Binder Tabs eliminate the need to fight with labels and tab inserts!
12. He’ll be cool enough for school in this Joe Fresh bomber.
13. Rag and Bone Right To Play tote at Holt Renfrew make for great, sturdy carry-alls for the extra shoes, change of clothes or the bake sale goodies.
14. The Victorinox Trooper backpack with laptop sleeve will last way longer than the school year does.
15. Metal tablet stand from Pottery Barn Kids
16. Is she ready for a new fragrance? Anna Sui’s Flight of Fancy is a subtle yet beautiful scent for the young lady in your house. Only available at Holt’s.
17. Stick to the litterless lunch with eco-friendly Juice in the Box spillproof and BPA-Free containers from Lavish & Lime.
18. Featuring leakproof lids, these sweet bento boxes from Chapters Indigo may actually make them want to finish their lunch!
“For as long as goal masks have been worn in hockey, there has been an evolution of incredible artwork that showcases the goalie and the team’s heritage and provides inspiration in preparation for battle on the ice,” said Greg Goyer, Category General Manager for Goalie Product at Bauer Hockey. “Given the film’s unique and global following, we’re excited to offer the series of Star Wars themed goal masks as the next chapter in the history of goal mask battle paint.”
Each BAUER goal mask features iconic characters and worlds from the classic film series, including Luke Skywalker, Shock Troopers, Yoda, Boba Fett and Darth Vader.
Below are some brief descriptions of the artwork, scenes and characters featured on the goal masks:
- LUKE SKYWALKER Goal Mask: With designs from Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, this goal mask features X-Wing pilot Luke Skywalker equipped for battle on the ice planet of Hoth, the location of the Rebel Alliance base.
- SHOCK TROOPERS Goal Mask: This goal mask features designs of the Galactic Empire ground force, the Shock Troopers, and brings to life the fiery volcanic world of Mustafar, the location of the legendary battle between Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi.
- YODA Goal Mask: Yoda, one of the most renowned and powerful Jedi Masters in Galactic history, is featured on this goal mask poised to duel, armed with his lightsaber while channeling the Force.
- BOBA FETT Goal Mask: The notorious bounty hunter, Boba Fett, is featured on this goal mask in battle in his customized Mandalorian armor firing his blaster rifle and in-flight with his Z-6 jetpack engaged. The Mandalorian symbol is displayed on the center of the mask, just above the wire facial cage.
- DARTH VADER Goal Mask: The Emperor’s dark enforcer, Darth Vader, is featured on this goal mask in his infamous black armor and in battle with his lightsaber in hand. The Galactic Empire Imperial symbol is displayed on the center of the mask, just above the wire facial cage.
The series is available on the BAUER NME3 goal mask. This high performance mask includes a LEXAN EXL polycarbonate shell, a dual density liner and a carbon steel round wire cage. The Star Wars series BAUER goal mask is available in a variety of sizes, including senior, junior, and youth.
Look out dust pans, watch out bristles, brooms, and mops, you’d better be scared. There is a new Swiffer in town and it is coming after your jobs. UrbanMommies tried the new Swiffer BISSELL SteamBoost and you’d think we’d done a full fall clean. A-hem. It’s a deeply penetrating steam mop that powers through dog footprints, coffee spills and mystery spots whose origins you no longer recall. It even cleans all the stuff your old mop leaves behind (and has left behind since the last time you were washing the floor on your hands and knees). For me that was when I was trying to induce labour contractions a while back….
Now that my babies are growing and ever so helpful, we sometimes play ‘clean the house’. The beauty of this product is that you can kick those nasty buckets out, throw away all those harsh chemicals and use the power of regular tap water and steam to blast away those annoying messes. Three simple steps and you’re well on your way to a quick clean up that will leave you plenty of time to catch up on your favourite shows.
1. fill the compartment with water.
2. attach a Steam pad
3. plug it in and wah-lah.
Disclosure: I am a P&Gmom/mamanP&G. As part of my affiliation with this group I receive products and special access to P&G events and opportunities. The opinions on this blog are my own.
*Do not use on waxed or unfinished wood floors
What makes CHOOZE shoes different? Could it be their subtle or bold variations or their unique and beautiful look? The answer is yes. Being unique is something to be proud of and CHOOZE is dedicated to its mission of elevating and empowering individuality. CHOOZE shoes are matched but never the same. What is that? The shoes don’t match? People rarely wear matching socks anymore, so why not move on to two different shoes? By encouraging people to wear two different shoes, CHOOZE builds confidence and creativity in individuals, creating an open mind and allowing them to be open to thinking differently and being open to new ideas.
Available at nordstrom.com
Price Range: $18-$50
What do you get when you cross preppy with adorable? J.Crew Baby. Now online and in J. Crew’s style guide, the collection features 71 new styles. We’re all over the vintage prints, bold pops of color and luxurious materials. Read: cashmere. And of course you’ll have to dress in similar styles yourself. There will be no mistaking your mini-me.
I’m one of those parents that can’t stand the end of summer. The thought of school lunches and early wake-ups makes me want to cry. Even the notion of some alone time while the kids are in school doesn’t make me want to celebrate. But back to school shopping? Now you’re talking. I love the new beginnings – a change to streamline routines and try to finally nail the healthy littler-less lunch. We can always dream. Here are our 15 back to school essentials for this year.
1. Reminiscent of old-school TV dinner trays or modern Bento boxes, the PlanetBox ensures food doesn’t get all mixed up and helps you include healthier options for the pickiest eater. The magnets add a personal flair. Also available at Pottery Barn Kids with personalized carry bags.
2. Microwave, dishwasher safe and waterproof. Music to a parents’ ears! Not having to raid the lost and found box at school every week? Even better. I just ordered Mabels Labels‘ Ultimate Back to School Pack. The kids got to choose their own personal designs and even prompted them to clean out their closet.
3. Sanrio. It’s all about Sanrio. I just got 2 new Sigg Hello Kitty water bottles. Always BPA-free, these designs also allow you to write a note to your kids in the thought bubble. My preference is to have the kids write a note to me, as I won’t give these bottles up. Sorry, boys.
I thought Gastown couldn’t get any more cool. But now the chic parenting set is being served with fashionable baby gear. After their success in Toronto, Ella + Elliot opened at 126 West Hastings Street in Vancouver and we can’t get enough. Mini Kartel ghost chairs and bouncers would perfectly match our adult-sized versions. We picked up the Marimekko memory game and wooden manners set too. Fantastic strollers available include Orbit, Bugaboo and Stokke. Aden and Anais muslin swaddle cloths and soft Petit Bateau basics will keep us coming back. If you’re looking for a special gift check the Areaware gold rattle. Every baby needs a bit of bling to start off life.
As a mom who has a crib, toddler bed and single bed to sell.. I can appreciate the need for versatility. (Or a large family). The GRO Convertible Crib is the latest and greatest at Module R and is designed to evolve to the changing needs of a child. The crib is configurable as a crib, toddler bed, daybed, play table, and a finally a desk, eliminating the need to buy new furniture as children grow. (Note: also eliminating the need to list the old stuff on Craigslist!)
The over the shoulder baby holder is otherwise known as a sling or carrier (not a bra – ha ha). Both mom and dad need to be comfortable and structurally supported without hunching, tilting or bruised shoulders. When our kids were tiny, they refused the stroller (aaagh) and my diaper bag essentials always included two different types of carriers to give my body some variety. Ranging from wraps to heavy-duty sophisticated contraptions with buckles and gizmos, here are a few of the most popular.
1. Baby Bjorn – a fabulous brand made famous when Angelina Jolie carried her little ones, they now come in active and comfort models and the optional covers keep baby snug and warm without adding bulk and weight to the carrier. Available at Baby’s World.
No time in the morning to pack a warm meal for yourself or your children? Enjoy a comforting meal with the Crock-Pot Lunch Warmer. It warms food on the go, while still staying cool to the touch outside for safety. It’s easy to clean-just stick the removable food storage container in the dishwasher! You can even leave the warming base at work/school and use the detachable food container to transport meals back and forth. How about packing last night’s leftovers of Slow Cooker Lasagna for a nutritious lunch? Crock-Pot