Though Disney has received criticism for some of their Disney princess characters of the past—exaggerated in dimension, with tiny waists and huge eyes, they didn’t represent “real women” in shape. Despite this talk, however, I never looked down on these characters or their stories. Then again, you can find me on any given day flipping through pages of numerous fashion magazines, feeling inspired and proud of my gender, not angered at the logistics of airbrushing.
We were so excited to get the FIRST taste of the summer trends by celebrity stylist Lara Backmender whose clients include—wait for it—Demi Lovato, Hayden Panetiere, Jessica Simpson, Katy Perry, Kylie Minogue, Lucy Hale, Miley Cyrus, Naomi Watts, Nina Debrev, Reese Witherspoon, Scarlet Johannson, Taylor Swift, Whitney Port and Zoey Deschanel. Seriously, I had to list them all.
What we want from summer style is easy, fresh, and versatile (mix-and-match is a must). Lara styled five outfits for attendees of the Disney Social Media Moms Celebration and used key, comfy pieces from Hanes to complete the outfits. And they meet all of our criteria.
Gate 52 at YVR was decorated with care as face painters, entertainers, Disney princesses and a magician wandered through the crowd. Children beamed and a few parents let a tear trickle down their face before wiping it away and smiling broadly at their kids. This day was about joy, not illness.
It’s shocking, but we are almost done! Day 11 of our 12 Days of Christmas Gift Guides focuses on gifts that fascinate and enlighten. In case you missed any, we’ve done a round-up of all of our guides, along with a chance to win $250 in Visa gift cards.
Are your Spidey senses tingling? Canadian Marvel fans are in for a huge treat. Marvel Universe LIVE! is touring across 8 cities in Canada this summer and tickets are on sale now! Featuring the most Marvel characters ever assembled in one production, this action-packed arena spectacular will put fans right in the middle of one of the most electrifying battles between good and evil ever conceived.
Marvel Universe Live is coming to the following Canadian cities:
VICTORIA Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre: June 11 – 14/2015
VANCOUVER Pacific Coliseum: June 18 – 21/2015
SASKATOON SaskTel Centre: July 16 – 19/2015
WINNIPEG MTS Centre: July 23 – 26/2015
OTTAWA Canadian Tire Centre: July 31 – August 2/2015
HAMILTON FirstOntario Centre: August 6 – 9/2015
TORONTO Air Canada Centre: August 13 – 16/2015
MONTREAL Bell Centre: August 20 – 23/2015
Marvel Universe LIVE! will captivate audiences with an authentic and original story that brings more than 25 Marvel characters together on one epic quest. The story is framed around the battle over the Cosmic Cube, the source of ultimate power and one of the most feared and coveted treasures in the Marvel Universe, that has been shattered into pieces by the Mighty Thor in order to prevent it from falling into the wrong hands. With the pieces scattered across the globe, Thor’s villainous brother Loki devises a scheme to clone its powers, inciting a threat that could not only decimate Earth but also obliterate the Universe.
To defeat Loki, Marvel’s biggest Super Heroes must band together, including The Avengers – Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk and Thor along with Spider-Man and Wolverine, must trek across the globe to retrieve the Cosmic Cube fragments and unite them. As the Super Heroes track the Cube, they will encounter some of their biggest adversaries including Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, Red Skull, Madame Hydra, Aldrich Killian, Electro and more, in the quest for the very same fragments. These foes have no problem teaming up if it gets them closer to their ultimate goal of world domination.
So if you’re into aerial stunts, pyrotechnics and the awe-inspiring world of Super Heroes, you really should grab your tickets now. Tickets and Canadian tour dates for Marvel Universe LIVE! are available at www.marveluniverselive.ca.
We’re fans of super powers over here at UrbanMommies, and we are giving away a family pack (4) of tickets to one of the shows! Canada Only, ends February 24, 2015.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post. All opinions and super powers are our own.
We bet you love Disney Infinity as much as we do…. and it just keeps getting better and better!! We reviewed Disney Infinity 2.0 Marvel Super Heroes and it was love at first leaping bound. Here is your chance to put one of these great starter packs under your tree! Giveaway Includes:
WiiU Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes (2.0 Edition) Starter Pack
Guardians of the Galaxy Play Set
Includes Gamora and Star-Lord figures
· Value: $100
Simply fill out the handy Rafflecopter form below. Canada only excl. Quebec, ends 12/14. Good Luck!!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
One highlight of the Disney Social Media Moms Celebration this year was not only posing with Maleficent (while protecting my son!) and seeing the first 9 minutes of the film Maleficent which is classified as PG and opens on May 30, 2014, but hearing Elle Fanning speak about her first starring role opposite Angelina Jolie. To Fanning, “Aurora exudes lightness and it’s so great in our movie that we have the dark and the light, total opposites, because they work so well together, like opposites attract in a way.”
“Elle is Aurora,” comments Jolie. “From the moment I met her, she is just sunshine. She’s a wonderful, sweet, intelligent young woman. Elle’s such a capable actress and a very strong person, which is nice because this Aurora is not just in love with the flowers; she is elegant and beautiful and delicate and loving, but she’s centered and she’s quite
an impressive young woman. Elle is bringing all of that and a great deal of emotional depth and her talent, as an actress, has really surprised me.”
Fanning described the experience as surreal and rich, and it was clear from the trailer that the pair has the true chemistry that makes Disney films addictive. With her favourite colour being pink and longing for long hair as a girl, her favourite Disney princess was always Aurora from Sleeping Beauty.
Tom Staggs, Chairman of Disney Parks talked of the legendary Sleeping Beauty story. Walt himself made Sleeping Beauty’s castle the centerpoint of the world’s first theme park. The film of Sleeping Beauty was released as an animated film in 1959 and Maleficent has been a villain in our minds ever since. It is not until now that we will perhaps realize the full complexity of the story. Some of the finest actors on the planet will show us the history of the sleeping beauty story and I strongly suspect that not all is as it first appears.
I will be first in line. And I won’t be waiting with a spinning wheel.
Here’s a featurette entitled ‘Light and Dark’. Enjoy!
Every time I enter DisneyLand, Walt Disney World or one of the Disney cruises, pixie dust fills my lungs, families get giddy and stress is stomped like a marshmallow. This year I have been showered with love and good fortune and yet I’m ashamed to admit that I don’t always recognize the blessings around me. I allow myself to get stampeded by work and *gasp*, complain sometimes. In travels to California and Florida, Disney has taught me several things, and my goal for 2014 is to incorporate as many of the lessons into my own life as I can. Here are my 12 Disney-inspired New Year’s resolutions.
1. It’s good to be scared sometimes. A little push to boost the adrenaline can remind you that you always survive risks. At times we forget to truly ‘live’ and ‘feel’ when we get bogged down with the day-to-day. The Radiator Springs Racers in Disney’s California Adventure, Tower of Terror, Expedition Everest at the Animal Kingdom and the Test Track presented by Chevrolet at Epcot will all get your heart going again.
2. Even if you can’t travel you can still explore cultures. Epcot features countries from around the world and the people working at each pavilion are actually from the countries represented. You can create cultures and experiences with your kids at home by exploring foods, languages and styles of dress – even if you can’t hop a jet to China.
3. Stimulate all of your senses. My favourite ride in both parks is ‘Soarin’. The magic happens when you soar over California in a simulated hang glider and odours pumped into the air correspond to the images you are seeing on-screen. Orange orchards,the pacific ocean and cedar forests bring all of your senses to life.
4. Learn from the animals. Of all of the experiences I have had with Disney, the Animal Kingdom is still a favourite. I like to stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge in a room that allows me to watch the animals in the Savannah all night long. The kids are given special checklists so they can find and learn about the animals during breaks from the parks. Giraffes rarely sleep and the interactions between the antelopes and other animals is mesmerizing. On the Kilimanjaro Safari in the Animal Kingdom you learn about habitats of the animals and see something different every time.
5. Don’t complain. One of the joys of being at Disney is that the staff are smiling and happy all the time. Even after long days and hot hours they treat each person like it’s the vacation of a lifetime. I’m going to try and do this every time I get gas, have a parking spot nabbed or am in the grocery checkout line.
7. It’s ok to make mistakes. Whether it is the Beast being nasty to Belle, Ariel agreeing to give up her voice or Woody being jealous of Buzz – we all make mistakes. Realize them, apologize, sing a song or two and move on. You’ll be much more fulfilled in life.
6. Dance often and spontaneously. The parades and dancing never stop at Disney and even the least co-ordinated visitors find their feet tapping. Every time there’s a show a whole community is created through the arts. Everyone is equal and experiencing something together.
8. Lighten your plate. Disney has taken a strong stance on healthy eating over the past year with their Mickey Check icon on nutritious menu choices and they even have healthy downloadable recipes to try. And squirt the ketchup in a Mickey shape once in a while.
9. Be a kid. Go ahead – pose with a princess, try to win a stuffed toy and go to Cinderella’s Castle for brunch. It’s ok to have fun and recreate the innocence and playfulness of childhood.
10. Go all in. If you’re going to do it, give it everything you’ve got. As an actor playing a role I’d have the proper coins in my pocket even when the audience would never know. But going all in made me more authentic. This is what Disney does at every turn.
Disclosure: This is not a sponsored post though UrbanMommies has been invited to Disney Parks in the past. All of our opinions are our own.
You know you feel special when a cruise line picks your hometown as a departure port. We luckily got to tour the Disney Wonder prior to her first Vancouver – Alaska sailing. The ship, like the Disney Fantasy was elegant, filled with mystique and the first class service Disney always provides. Here are our top 10 favourite tips when heading to Alaska on the Disney Wonder.
2. Crew members announce each family via microphone, making your little princesses, pirates (and Mom and Dad) feel special from the moment you step aboard.
3. Servers follow your family to each of the 3 dining rooms. This is a revolutionary concept in cruising, and ensures that your personal staff know your menu requirements. Knowing that you liked the dark beer last night, they may suggest a fun alternative. Being aware of kids allergies or gluten-free preferences adds an extra layer of safety to Disney’s already allergy-friendly alternatives
5. Before 9pm kids are allowed in the nightclubs so they can experience a taste of the adult spaces on the ship. Awesome for teaching.
6. Palo is an adults-only restaurant and brunch is over the top. Reservations are required and we’d recommend you make one as soon as u get on the ship!
7. Unlike the other Disney cruise destinations, there are no fireworks on the Alaska itinerary in order to honour the environment.
8. The Spa sells a limited number of passes for the Rainforest Relaxation Room. With water features, lounges and soft music our family will certainly nab a pass for our next cruise. Services in the spa include barber services for men and teeth whitening for women. You may become the 12th Disney princess.
9. Personal training is available as well as boot camps and body sculpting in the gym. The experts in the spa also offer footprint analysis.
11. ‘Ionithermie’ is a special treatment that flushes toxins out of the body and you could lose up to 8 inches during the cruise.
12. The child activity areas are incredible and while on the Fantasy, my kids never wanted to leave. Children are not only outfitted with a GPS so their location in the facilities can be determined immediately, but parents are constantly reachable via wave phone that is provided in the stateroom.
13. The Nursery is for kids from 12 weeks to 3 years and requires an extra fee ($6 per hour, per child). The Oceaneers Club hosts 3-12 year olds.
So head to Vancouver, grab an ocean-view cabin (you don’t want to miss the stunning views) and let the Disney Wonder sweep you off your feet. Your kids will be transfixed by Northwest culture, and you may lost up to 8 inches (if you can resist the glorious food).