Nursing Omelette (Great for Kids too!)
The proper nutrition and the right diet are key to having a good supply of nourishing milk. Nursing is no time to diet or skimp on nutrients. Eat plenty health promoting fats from foods like free range eggs, organic whipping cream, organic butter & avocado as breast milk is largely composed of fat. Here is breakfast recipe that will nourish you and your baby with healthy fats, proteins and nutrients that you require.
- 2 free range eggs
- 1 tablespoon of organic butter
- 1 tablespoon of organic whipping cream
- 1 diced organic turkey sausage
- ½ an avocado sliced
- ¼ cup chopped chives & cilantro
- ¼ cup grated sharp cheddar
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Salsa to garnish
- Chop and sauté sausage in a cast iron skillet until.
- While sausage cooks, crack eggs into a bowl & add cream & a touch of salt (Cream protects the fragile nutrient in the egg, and the fat in the cream aids absorption of vitamin A from the yolk and butter)
- Whisk eggs & cream lightly (Do not too long or omelet will be tough)
- Add butter to skillet and coat entire surface, tip skillet and add in egg mix slowly
- Reduce heat to medium and wait for underside to lightly brown
- When cooked add chives, cilantro, avocado slices and cheese to top, switch temperature to low
- With a spatula flip omelet in half. Allow one side to cook and flip. Beware to not overcook
- Slide omelet on to plate and enjoy. You may garnish with salt and pepper, salsa or eat with sprouted grain toast, don’t forget the butter
Stephanie Hodges BA, RYT, RNCP is a Registered Nutrition Consultant Practitioner at Pomegranate. She specializes in women’s health.