Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Especially if you’ve been trying to conceive, women can become understandably obsessed with recognizing early pregnancy signs and symptoms. We all know that you wait until you’ve missed a period, take a test, and you will know for sure. But what about the other little signs that women seem to know, but the books rarely mention? Soft signs of pregnancy, signs of implantation, and other very early pregnancy signs are hardly discussed. Once, when I was a week late, somebody asked me – do you feel pregnant? Pardon? Feel?
I closed my eyes and became centered, listening only to my body. (I wasn’t pregnant, BTW). We are often too out of touch with our own bodies and spiritual states, and pregnancy is one of the best times to learn to listen to ourselves.
Whether they are based on scientific principles,‘wives tales’ or ‘mythology’, many people believe in these early signs as pregnancy indicators (you may want to check our reasons for a late period, or .. the most popular baby names and unique baby names just in case):
1. Implantation bleeding. This can happens when sperm meets egg, about 6-12 days after conception, and may produce a small spot of blood on a tissue.
2. You feel hot. And it’s wintertime.
3. You get gas. Stinky gas.
4. There are never enough bathrooms for you to use on an hourly basis.
5. You feel thirsty.
6. Your stomach may be upset or slightly queasy.
7. You start to clean everything, disinfecting light switches, dusting baseboards and polishing silver. (Or is that just us?)
8. You become emotional. Ok, more emotional.
9. You focus on family.
10. You may worry about losing loved ones.
11. Your sex drive increases or decreases. As do the dreams. Wow.
12. Your skin changes.
13. You are too exhausted to go shoe shopping.
14. Your breasts are sore (or your bras are just too tight).
15. Your back feels like you’ve been digging too much in the garden.
16. Your head feels like a melon.
17. I’ll take fries with that butter chicken, please. Oh, and some M&Ms too. I’d check our folic acid article just in case.
18. Heartburn sets in.
19. Constipation, yeah.
20. You don’t have to fake the fainting thing to get attention.
Though these are not exhaustive, and none should be taken in isolation, they harken back to a time when the body’s messages were the only true indicator that you may have conceived a child. Don’t hire the skywriter yet, though. You can never be sure until you meet with your health practitioner.
And on the off chance you are wrong.. you can try our Ovulation Predictor.